We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton in Poipu - worth it for a partial oceanview?

Houston
Level Contributor
328 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton in Poipu - worth it for a partial oceanview?

I was going to book a partial oceanview for The Sheraton in Poipu because there is a good rate of $229 for a partial ocean view (non refundable during sale lasting to the 30th), but reading some of the comments on the resort via the search, it appears those rooms are in a bad/older/outdated building. Is that correct? Do you get an oceanview or just a sliver?

I'm already staying ocean view on Maui at the Sheraton paying over $300 night. Not sure I want to pay another $300/night for the 4 days in Kauai as well. I love oceanview but if it's not worth it, I would consider garden view there unless those rooms are old/outdated (appear to be in the same building as the partial ocean view from what I read).

Are there any other resorts in Poipu where I can find Oceanview rooms for $300 or under? (prefer oceanview but partial oceanview is fine unless it's just a sliver of a view)

If it helps any, I'm going to be there Feb 13th-17th, 2013. Just 4 days so renting a condo won't make sense (unless it is thru a resort with no cleaning fees).

Thanks as always

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
37,475 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton in Poipu - worth it for a partial oceanview?

$229 for the Sheraton is pretty darn good for that time of the year. I think the garden view side (across the street) are the less desirable but in that price range, in Poipu for that time of the year, $229 sounds pretty good to me. Parts of the hotel have been redone and they now have Rum Fire Restaurant in there. The Sheraton on Maui will be a total zoo. Be prepared to have people putting their towels down on the loungers at 7am. Its still a fun place to stay.

Houston
Level Contributor
328 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton in Poipu - worth it for a partial oceanview?

Thanks. I'll probably go ahead and book it. I really liked the Sheraton on Maui.

Luckily I'm not a pool person! Actually,I don't even like the beach/sand. But I love the beautiful blue water!

California
Level Contributor
37,475 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton in Poipu - worth it for a partial oceanview?

I stay close to The Sheraton on Maui and do enjoy going over to their poolside bar at sunset. Have a great time.

Houston
Level Contributor
328 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton in Poipu - worth it for a partial oceanview?

Does anyone know how often/likely an upgrade is for Starwood members?

When I stayed in Maui before, I heard Starwood members were often upgraded 1 level. I booked ocean view and was upgraded to Ocean front.

I'm just wondering what the chances are of booking partial ocean view, and being upgraded to an oceanfront in one of the other buildings. (or would delude garden view be considered the next step up?

I know upgrades are not promised and you should be happy with what you book. Just trying to decide whether to book partial ocean view at $229 and hope for an upgrade (knowing it may not happen) or book Ocean front for $309. I looked at arial views of the grounds and the building does look very far back compared to the other ones.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,904 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton in Poipu - worth it for a partial oceanview?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I used to work at the front desk of the Sheraton Kaua'i for 5 years - and the only people that were "guaranteed" an upgrade were the platinum members of Starwood - they would get upgraded as far as we were able to, given occupancy levels.

You can certainly request an upgrade, but being a basic Starwood member generally does not give you a free upgrade - not from partial ocean to deluxe garden view (which would be the next category - on ocean side, but facing inland, not towards the ocean - I actually think the POV is a better view myself). To get to the ocean view category would be a 2 category upgrade.

The days of free upgrades are pretty much long gone, unless you are at the highest levels - but as I said, you can certainly ask if a free upgrade is available - the worst that you can get is a "I'm afraid not" in response. You never know, and many factors come into play with it (occupancy levels, policy, etc).

Malama Pono,

Janet

Houston
Level Contributor
328 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton in Poipu - worth it for a partial oceanview?

Thank you! I may just book oceanfront to be safe. I don't want to kick myself later for not spending $280 total for a better room. Its really not that much more.

Thanks again to both of you for your help.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton in Poipu - worth it for a partial oceanview?

Run13, wise decision. That $280 will be well worth it. There's quite a difference in the rooms/location of the garden view units compared to the oceanfront units. In the case of the Sheraton it's worth tossing out an expensive activity or dinner to bump up to oceanfront. The view and setting is even more bang for the buck than many expensive activities.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton in Poipu - worth it for a partial oceanview?

Oceanfront rooms are great at the Sheraton Kauai. You made the right choice.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton in Poipu - worth it for a partial oceanview?

Thanks to all posting here I saved a bunch on my trip two weeks ago. We looked closer at Sheraton charges in addition to the room rate:

$31.25 PER NIGHT "resort fee"?!?!?!!!!!

13.416% tax

So $229/night becomes $290.97. 300-400 sq ft room with not much view, and no place for my wife to escape when I crank up the snoring!

We even had a $189 room rate that included a free midsize Dollar rent a car (we would have to pay $49.10 total in taxes plus gas of course).

We ended up cancelling that reservation & booked a BEAUTIFUL 2BR/2Ba condo, 1500 sq. ft., with a big balcony, with a full ocean view, a drunken stumble from Brennecke's Beach for four nights. Including cleaning & tax, it was still less than our Sheraton special rate. Granted, you're going in high season, we were low season, and we negotiated four nights instead of the usual minimum condo rental of five nights. And looking at availability, Poipu Kai area is almost sold out for your dates.

We did drive through the Sheraton to check it out. Happier with our decision. And I'm Gold with Starwood, which doesn't have any pull there for an upgrade, even during low season they said when I called.

By the way, I ended up renting an Alamo car using American Airlines miles. Who da thunk! Because I have middle status on AA, I got the car for 9700 miles TOTAL!!! Yes, I paid the $49.10 total taxes. But using my wife's non-status account the same rental would have been 27,500 miles. So membership did have it's privileges there.

And thanks to the 2nd bedroom, we're still happily married!

Snoooooore,

SeaBass

Edited: 27 November 2012, 15:53
10. Re: Sheraton in Poipu - worth it for a partial oceanview?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 06:15