We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help With 2 Kiahuna Condo Choices

California
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
Help With 2 Kiahuna Condo Choices

Our last trip to Kauai was in summer of 2011. We're planning to head back this July. I think I have our accomodations narrowed down to 2 condos at Kiahuna. Would you mind taking a look and telling me what you think? My head is a little spinny from looking and I don't want to miss something obvious. It will be DH, myself and 6 year old son traveling. I chose these 2 b/c of the price. We can stay 10 days instead of 7. :)

Here is the first link:

http://www.vrbo.com/54488

I love that this one has a washer and dryer in unit!

Here is the 2nd link: http://www.kiahunarentals.com/amenities.htm There is also a VRBO listing, but I'll have to find it again. This one is about $100 (ish) more than the first with no washer and dryer.

Thanks for your thoughts! I really appreciate them!

California
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help With 2 Kiahuna Condo Choices

I'd choose the first one; it's a little farther from the beach but not by much, and it has the washer and dryer as well as being less expensive. It will also be a shorter walk to the pool across the street. Here's a map of KP in case you haven't seen one.

http://www.kiahunacondo.com/resortmap.html

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help With 2 Kiahuna Condo Choices

And I'd forego the W/D and pick the second one. The first one is in building 18, as far back as you can get from the beach with a larger parking area right behind it. It's the first floor of a 3 story building.

The second one is in building 36 , first floor of a 2 story building, a lower occupancy area. It looks brighter and somewhat more updated than the first.

It's all a matter of personal taste. 22kauai is also very knowledgeable of Kiahuna and I'd trust her wisdom also. Roll of the dice?

Edited: 05 January 2013, 01:27
California
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help With 2 Kiahuna Condo Choices

You're right, Napaguy, it is a roll of the dice. If I didn't have a friend who owns back by that parking area, I'd probably shy away from it; however, I really like her condo--it seems very quiet and has a beautiful view. Having a washer and dryer is a big plus, especially with a little one, and it's probably less than a 5 min. walk to the beach.

California
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help With 2 Kiahuna Condo Choices

Thanks for your replies! Yes, I do have a map and have used it frequently! (Thanks for posting it though.) Maybe we will have to roll the dice! I love the washer and dryer in the condo for a 10 day stay. It is so convenient!

But I agree with you, Napaguy, about the second one. It is lighter and brighter and it does seem more modern.

On our last trip, we stayed at Kiahuna for a couple of nights b/c we couldn't get our other rental for the whole stay. I can't remember if we stayed in Bld. 36 or 37, but it was close to the back of the property so I have a general idea about where it is in relation to the beach. Is 18 that much further back?

Do you think overhead noise will be a huge issue? (I guess that really depends on who is above you, right? lol) Would one be cooler than the other? We've never been to the island in mid-July....

Thanks again!

Edited: 05 January 2013, 01:41
California
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help With 2 Kiahuna Condo Choices

Both units you're looking at are first floor I think. We stay in a first floor unit every July, and, yes, it depends who's above you, but we've found that most people are very considerate. With ceiling fans, we keep cool.

I agree, the second unit seems a little brighter, but the owners of the first unit must keep their unit upgraded if they've put in a washer/dryer and a new walk-in shower.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,714 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help With 2 Kiahuna Condo Choices

Don't they have a communal laundry facilities at Kiahuna? Why do I recall passing something like that when visiting? If yes, then here you go, solution to the problem.

I am a very picky vacationer and want my space to be bright and updated. I also do not like the idea of two levels of guests staying above. I would pick the one behind door no. 2 :) and wash clothes by hand, if I had to. But, as you all say, it is a matter of personal preference.

Edited: 05 January 2013, 04:08
California
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help With 2 Kiahuna Condo Choices

Yes, you are right, Anna-Roz. Kiahuna does have coin-operated laundry facilities. I just like the idea of having a washer and dryer in the condo--less of a hassle. :) I totally hear what you're saying about 2 levels of people above and a light and bright space! Some reasons why I'm having conflict about which to choose. :) Thanks for your thoughts.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help With 2 Kiahuna Condo Choices

We have stayed often in bldg 36, but upstairs and end. It is really very close to the corner of the next building at #233. If that front building gets filled, I wouldn't like it. And I have to say the extra light is probably more about good use of a camera. That being said, we DID return to that building several times.

You won't go wrong with either, if they are your final cut choices. Neither is SO close to the beach that it makes that much difference - it is still a good walk - but a very wonderful one! Pick and enjoy!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help With 2 Kiahuna Condo Choices

Yes, there is a community laundry facility at Kiahuna. It's over by buildings 9 & 10. Not the most convenient to either of these two selections of condos so a W/d in the unit might just come in very handy.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help With 2 Kiahuna Condo Choices

Having an in suite Washer/dryer is huge IMO.

I agree with the other poster that commented on camera shots/angles. I feel the 1 st unit has a more modern look. The kitchen has been refurbished...just not opened up.

The second unit though sporting a newly remodeled kitchen...still has the old CRT Tv sets..... Hmm... I also think the LR furniture appears to be of a lower quality.

We all have different Travel styles and decor taste..... however,my vote is for the first one with the W/D & the $100 bill in your pocket. The location of each unit within the complex is a wash...... ( Excuse the Pun)

Edited: 05 January 2013, 22:41