We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar hopping in Poipu???

Salem, OR
Level Contributor
42 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Bar hopping in Poipu???

My husband and I are staying with another couple in the Poipu area and we have a tradition when we vacation in Hawaii to find the best Mai Tai's. Can anyone recommend several Poipu area places that we should try??

California
Level Contributor
37,474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar hopping in Poipu???

Only in Poipu and does it have to be mai tais? I like the drinks at Tortilla Republic. Keoki's is another spot. I think the better mai tais are on the North Shore but I don't want you drinking and driving. I think I had a pretty good mai tai at Brennecke's one time. They have a happy hour.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar hopping in Poipu???

You might want to find a new tradition. Kauai isn't a bar-hopping type of place. In Poipu there's not too many places to hop to anyway. A drink with dinner each night is a different story. You'd be able to cover all of the mai tai offerings in Poipu that way.

LA
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar hopping in Poipu???

I'd try Stevenson's Library at the Hyatt.

Got addicted to those Lemon Drop Martinis. They became our signature Kauai drink. Once had them made with Lilikoi. Superyum

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar hopping in Poipu???

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I have never heard the phrase "bar hopping" and "Poʻipū " together before! lol

Please do not drink and drive - keep yourself and others safe.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar hopping in Poipu???

Yeah, kinda agree. Especially in poipu, bar hopping might actually take driving, it is not like walking down mainstreet amercia and there are five bars within throwing distance.

However, I do have a fun suggestion.....

Kukui'ula Shopping Village:

We like:

Tortilla Republic

Merimans Downstairs

The Dolphin ( same owners as up in hanalei )

Then just down poipu road

Kiokies Paradise

Casa Blanca

Kalapaki Joes

in Koloa Town

Pizetta's Pizza bar in the back

Tom Kats, you all would fill the bar, might need a table

As you can see, it does take driving to do a full on pub crawl, and the KPD is on the lookout. Incarcerated behind the wire is not a good way to spend a kauai vacation.

The idea of finding a nice place to kick back, have fun and enjoy a drink sounds much wiser.

As far as drinks, maitais are pretty standard, and most places do a pretty darned good job.

You will be having a happy time.

Denny

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
588 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bar hopping in Poipu???

A pub crawl in Poipu ends up being a 5K.

California
Level Contributor
37,474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bar hopping in Poipu???

You could bar hop at Kuku'iula Shopping Center.

It would be a quick hop though.

Start off with drinks at Tortilla Republic (of course the taxi has already dropped you off), have sangria and tapas at Josselins and then a mai tai at Merrimans and dessert. Then hop back in a cab.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bar hopping in Poipu???

I like jebett's idea...you can also stop by the Dolphin too. Take a cab there and walk back.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bar hopping in Poipu???

The lounge The Beach House does a decent mai tai, if you want to add in another ocean view alternative down here. Brennecke's definitely used to have great ones - haven't had one now in a while, but don't know why they would have changed them! If you are up for the bucks, the Seaview Terrace in the Grand Hyatt has a very good mai tai, too.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 23:23
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bar hopping in Poipu???

So, where are you staying in Poipu? That full on pub crawl may cost you 10K-15K in DUI defense, but much worse yet may cause serious injuries or death to another human, or someone's pet.

Assuming you can all walk there (and hopefully back), or designate a sober driver, Brennecke's indeed make very-very good Mai Tais. They do not make many good things there anymore, but Mai Tais are definitely top notch.

Stevenson's Library at the Hyatt is a beautiful bar: koa wood all around, well spaced tables, good service, live music, etc. Not any pricier then a hotel bar on the Mainland but not a bargain for sure. My favorites are lychee martinis! They are (deceptively) delicious. ;)