We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches comparison

travelgirl3644
Level Contributor
33 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches comparison

We have reservations to stay in Poipu for 2 weeks in June. I am questioning our location choice based on the beach options. Are we going to be to far south? My kids want to boogie board and surf. The last time we came to Hawaii, we spent 2 weeks on Oahu in Waikiki. We drove every day to the north shore because we liked the beaches and feel better than Waikiki. Will I be making the same mistake here? It's about a 2 hour drive to the north shore from Poipu correct? Thanks!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
757 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches comparison

In June, I would stay on the north shore, although you could split your stay between north and south, since you'll be there two weeks.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches comparison

The best boogie boarding and surfing in June will be on the south shore. My kids (ages 11 and 14) prefer to boogie board and we are also spending 2 weeks in Poipu in June. They took surf lessons in August 2010 at Hanalei Bay and the waves were almost non-existent. It was perfect for a beginner but they soon were bored. But we also split our stay on many trips to enjoy both shores and since you are coming for 2 weeks, that is an option. We just decided not to hassle moving this year. The ocean will be very calm and flat on the north shore during the summer months. Great for snorkeling and swimming but not so good if you are looking for any wave action. The drive from Poipu to the north shore will be about 90 minutes, give or take, depending on traffic, etc.

California
Level Contributor
9,634 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches comparison

Poipu should be great in June. Brennecke Beach is one of the most popular boogie boarding beaches on the island and surfing is usually good near Kiahuna Plantation. There's not much wave action on the North Shore in June especially at Hanalei Bay. However, I do love both areas and split may stay when I'm there in July.

VA
Level Contributor
89 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches comparison

We vacation on kauai in the summer months (june, august) and the North shore beaches are our favorite. When we travel south to poipu we see a lot of snorkelers (at the beach by the beach house restaurant)...we see more surfers and pattle boarders on north shore beaches. Our favs are Kealia - see lots of surfers, Anini - see pattle boardlers, Hanalei - surfers, Moloaa bay - always calm when we go...good for pattle boarding, Secret - not for surfing/pattle boarding but beautiful to watch)

There are just so many beaches to pick from on the N Shore in my opinion but I may be biased...

Edited: 03 February 2013, 20:30
California
Level Contributor
36,994 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches comparison

The surf on the North Shore during the summer is placid. I do not agree with the above poster, blessed. Snorkeling at Lawai Beach near The Beach House Restaurant is not good during the summer and the expert surfers are not in Hanalei Bay. The summer swells on the South Shore make visibility poor for snorkeling. Snorkeling is better during the summer on the North Shore. I do agree that the beaches on the North Shore are a favorite and beyond beautiful, but if you want to boogie board and surf you will have better waves South. Kealia Beach is a wonderful place but the currents are strong so be careful. Stay near the lifeguards if you think the waves are ok for a beginner boogie boarder. Yes you will see surfers but they are locals and know the ocean there. I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie.

Poipu is no Waikiki. You will be driving to the Hanalei area I am sure because its just not a visit to Kauai unless you see this gorgeous area and often.

Honestly I think you will be just fine as is. June and Poipu will be wonderful. Splitting your time on Kauai isn't a bad idea though. That way you have the days to surf and boogie board while in Poipu and then snorkel, hike, paddle board etc North.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches comparison

Your kids will love Brennecke's....mine sure do...it was me that had a heart attach watching them in the bigger waves. One thing though...Brennecke's has a dangerous shore break and rocky bottom, so make sure your kids "feel" the beach out a bit before they catch that first wave. Their favorite boogie boarding beach was KAlapaki, but conditions change so sometimes it's got great waves, other times not so much.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches comparison

The hotest and most popular boogie boarding is indeed at Brenneckes beach which is next door to poipu beach park.

As far as snorkeling, we have had good snorkeling at Lawai ( Beach house) beach. We would be visiting in june / July, and some days were good in the poipu area, others as JBett mentioned the sand can get stirred up and vis not so good.

North shore in those days , we loved hideaways and tunnels, since the ocean is calmer.

Here is the reason:

Winter: Storms from the northern latatudes generate big surf that blasts onto the norh facing beaches. They can also effect west and east shores.

That changes in the summer time, due to storms south of the equator, like down in new zealand, and the souther oceans. It is their winter time and the results of those storm flow onto our south facing beaches, HOWEVER, they do not have the intensity and strength or heights of the north shore waves in the winter.

In all of our 12 years of visits, I believe we only passed on snorkeling poipu, in those days, one time, or maybe two. The waves were only about 4 feet off the reef, but we had strong winds, and waves that definitely sitirred up the sand and we just did something else that day.

No matter which shore that you stay, it is not a big deal to drive to another shore for what ever it is that you wish to do. We did. Heck, we still do.

So both shores have their special attributes, and it is just personal choice of where to stay. But you all have cars and can travel and explore the whole island.

Denny

8. Re: Beaches comparison

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 06:16