We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fine dining

Calgary, Alberta
1 post
Save Topic
fine dining

I'm travelling to Kauai in Sept 2004. Staying at the Kiahuna Plantation. Any suggestions as to fine dining in the Poipu area? Thx

Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fine dining

You will love the Kiahuna Plantation! Onsite there is Plantation Gardens Restaurant, although a few years ago it became an Italian place (which is good, but not as good as the original Plantation Gardens). Roy's is across the street at the Kiahuna Shopping Center. The restaurants at the Hyatt are fantastic. For a big splurge, try Tidepools. We loved it. Their Sunday brunch is good, too. Let me know if you have other questions. We love Kauai, unfortunately haven't been there in 3 years... sigh.

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: fine dining

My husband and I go to Kauai often. We have found some of the best places to eat. If you like Italian "Portofinos" is wonderful, located at the Marriot Hotel in Kalipaki. Also "Dukes" is great for steak. The "Bullshed" also has wonderful food. If you are looking fo just a hamburger go to "Bubbas" in Kapaa.."Ono Burgers" is also great, going North. Aloha

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fine dining

Tidepools as mentioned is great. Get reservations for edge of pond seating, very romantic. The Beach House at Sunset. Roys has awesome food but not much atmosphere. We liked Brennecke's, yummy ono and ahi at sunset, very nice.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fine dining

Ono Char Burger in Aliomanu, beats Bubba Burgers by like a million points. lol Its this little shack on your way to the north shore in this tiny shopping center. Get some burgers there.

For a nice dinner, Bullshed in Kapaa is great. Its not too dressy either, pretty casual. and good food.

If you want to try japanese, Kintaros in kapaa is great. It's a local favorite.

If you've never eaten saimin before, you need to try Hamura's Saimin in lihue, on rice street. If you like ramen you'll like saimin. also a local favorite.

Wash. DC
Level Contributor
4 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fine dining

Everything posted prior is good info. Just returned last week from a 10 day stay-7 in Poipu/3 in Princeville.

I can add Casa di Amici just up the beach from your stay- Superb dining, elegant, good wine list not overpriced .

Probably the best meal we had in Poipu area although did not get to Tidepools this trip.

Avoid at all costs the Thai/oriental restaurant in shopping center-ate there one night because we did not make reservations in time anywhere else-Godawful! Got physically ill from dinner, not just me wife sick to stomach too from meal. All we could do was laugh about it later knowing that since all the other restaurants were packed and this one had plenty of empty tables the locals were telling us something we failed to heed.

gary0529

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fine dining

No one's mentioned the Beach House yet. It was our favorite of the fine dining, but book early and go for the sunset--thats a show in itself with all the people going out to get their pictures taken, and the local surfers staying out until the last dying rays of the sun.

I'd avoid Cafe DAmici like the plague - it was the worst experience we had in 3 weeks of dining. And the prices match the Beach House.

Have fun - wish I was going again too!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fine dining

Well I mentioned the Beach House in my post. I thought it was fantastic when I was there. I wonder where canuck ate when he/she was there in Sept.

Northfield, IL
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: fine dining

I know this is too late for the person who originally answered the question. I'm a self-confessed foodie and gourmand. My absolute current favorite is Coconuts in Kapaa. Don't let the name or the location food you. In a former Jack in the Box (!), the renovated space serves cutting-edge Hawaiian fusion in a chic/casual atmosphere. Exquisite island fusion cuisine. Enjoy!

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fine dining

I guess you don't want a reply back now, i just noticed the date. But i had lots of fine dining ideas cause we've been there a dozen times.

10. Re: fine dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 01:18