We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need opinions on restaurants in Poipu for a group

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need opinions on restaurants in Poipu for a group

Hi all...My husband and I were asked for some input for a group meeting at the Grand Hyatt for next March for around 150 people. One night is a dine around. I need to come up with at least 8 restaurants for about 10 people at each restaurant as not everyone participates in this.

This is what we came up with.

Tidepools

Dondero's

Josselin's (my fave)

Merriman's

The Beach House

Roy's

The other two are Plantation Gardens and Keoki's. I love the setting of Plantation Gardens but have found the food to be fairly ordinary. We prefer the bar food at Keoki's. The restaurant food is Just O.K.

Does anyone have any recent input or other suggestions?

I will also be making out a restaurant list for more casual daytime or other evenings. Also hiking and other activities but I am starting with the high end restaurants.

Thanks all

Sally

Oh just thought of Red Salt. I don't think we have eaten there.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,703 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need opinions on restaurants in Poipu for a group

Tortilla Republic. Their ceviche is not to be missed.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need opinions on restaurants in Poipu for a group

Agreed. Add Red Salt and Tortilla Republic and you're set.

Might consider Casa Di Amici but I've had mixed experiences there so hesitate to offer that one.

Keokis is not in the same league as the rest of the list.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need opinions on restaurants in Poipu for a group

I had my 60th at the Beach House and loved it. There was 8 of us, all flying in from Australia to celebrate.

We loved the location ... the floor to ceiling windows were all open (it was August) .. the lawns down to the water gave the customers a chance to go out and take photos of the sunset.

We loved the food. I had the watermelon salad, and then the fish ... just delicious.

We didn't need to order desserts, as the restaurant got a call from a friend at home who ordered and surprised me with a bottle of champagne and cake. The staff even signed the card as well.

Their service was spot on ... the food delicious, we all enjoyed what we ordered ... and we'd all go back again... one day!

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need opinions on restaurants in Poipu for a group

Thanks for the input. I hesitated about Tortilla Republic because when we looked at the Menu in March there seemed to be very little Seafood on the Menu. I added Red Salt and Tortilla Republic. Pzp the ceviche sounds great. This will be a good opportunity for us to go to either Red Salt and Tortilla Republic.

Dave I do agree about Keoki's. I will put both Keoki's and Plantation Gardens down if we need a couple more restaurants as they both have great atmosphere.

Eaglemaniac thanks for the current update on the Beach House. We always have fun there.

California
Level Contributor
36,649 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need opinions on restaurants in Poipu for a group

Plantation Garden is great for the setting and something different! Has the new sushi restaurant, Dolphin, opened yet? That might be fun!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,550 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need opinions on restaurants in Poipu for a group

Yes, the Dolphin sushi place is open. My husband has been there a couple of times.

Middletown...
Level Contributor
865 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need opinions on restaurants in Poipu for a group

Is this the place that was under construction at Kukuiula last spring?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,550 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need opinions on restaurants in Poipu for a group

The sushi bar is right across from Tortilla Republic.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need opinions on restaurants in Poipu for a group

I might draw the cut line above Red Salt. For me, it is just another pricey restaurant that happens to be on Kauai. No view. Nothing remarkable about it.

Half Moon Bay...
Level Contributor
130 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need opinions on restaurants in Poipu for a group

For another ethnic cuisine option, check out Yum Cha at the Hyatt golf course. It's a really pretty setting overlooking the greens and the whole fish is awesome.