We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in August

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai in August

The only time my friend can get away is in August and I promised him a trip to Kauai - Which is the better side to stay when it is in the middle of August? We like beautiful calm beaches and relaxing atmospheres.

Maybe we will do a hike or two or go zip lining. VRBO or hotel ?

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
39,819 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai in August

Calm beaches+relaxing+August = North Shore but the problem is there aren't many hotels. VRBO is fine if you know the location of where you want to stay. Maybe a beach location like Hanalei? August is very popular so get hopping. Can you give us your nightly budget. It makes a big difference on specific rentals.

Zipling can be done at Princeville Ranch Adventures and hiking suggestions are under top questions. The Kalalua Trail is on the North Shore. Its quite an experience.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai in August

North Shore is at it's best in summer. Unless you are willing to pony up for the St. Regis, start hitting VRBO fast. Do read the Top Questions threads on "which side of the island to stay on". Most of the accommodations on the North Side are in Princeville which is mostly up on a bluff so not really beach front unless you consider a 100 ft elevation change beachfront ;>).

If you can find a place on Hanalei bay or Anini or other NS beach, you can have the sand at your feet though.

It's much easier to find a hotel/condo at sea level in Poipu or the East side. Poipu is the other prime Kauai location with nice beaches and lots of tourist activities. The East side has many tourist hotels/condos but they tend to be older (with a couple of exceptions) and the beaches are not as nice in most people's judgement. It's also built up and not always "peaceful" though some of the resorts would fit that description.

Lots of info in the top questions threads that are on the right hand border of the main Kauai forum page. Or you can put key words like "hiking" to find older threads on the subject. The first 2 miles of the Kalalau trail to Hanakapiai beach is a top hike here, but it will likely be swarming with people in August. Lots of old threads on that one. The Kalalua trail is more of a toilet lol.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai in August

You were so helpful.... I was thinking about $ 200 - $250 ( tops) per night. Of course lower would be nice but I don't know if I am expecting too much. Reading all the information on line is a little overwhelming because it seems like it depends on the time of year you go - and what it is you hope to experience. Like I said a calm beach, ( we are not strong swimmers ) hiking available, afforable resturants or should I stay in a rental by owner. Obviously I am not good at making a decision. But I really appreciate your input. Thanks

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai in August

Thanks so much for your information. I think it will help me decide what to do.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai in August

Aloha from Kaua'i!

August is the apex of our summer season here, you can't go wrong wherever you decide to stay, North, East, South or West sides!

Each is wonderful and different from one another and will appeal to different people......I'd research each side and see what part of the island is more "you" and go from there!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,314 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai in August

I would start looking at condo availablity in your budget - and see what comes up - Kauai has an amazing variety of places. :)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
7. Re: Kauai in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 05:18