We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling locations?

Tacoma, Washington...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling locations?

We are staying in the Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu and we'd like to go snorkeling today. We're all beginners so a place with very calm water is probably best. Anyone have ideas? We'll also need to rent some gear.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling locations?

Walk down the beach toward Poipu Beach Park -- there is halfway decent snorkeling there. If you want more protected the first time, you can try either Lydgate Park north of Lihue or Salt Pond down near Hanapepe. The best snorkeling in your area is on either side of Kuhio Shores condos down Lawai Road. But conditions there make it a little more difficult to enter the water and you need to be accustomed deeper water and some waves. Check conditions carefully before going in.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling locations?

The right side of the tombolo at Poipu Beach is OK snorkeling, but this time of year, check with the lifeguards as to currents and the surf conditions that might slide in over the reef.

On the left side of the tombolo is a more protected area, but for experienced snorkelers it is not as interesting with marine life as the right side.

Calm day, Lawai Beach at the beach house restaurant is the best on the south shore, and maybe the best on kauai. Get there early, I would say by about 10 or 10:30.

Relax up on the beach house lawn, and as the sun starts to light up the coral and the fish , enter at the sandy avah, and snorkel the bommies and the reef , and the rocky area along the beach house walkway. all there at Lawai beach.

Water quality shoud be good, and as far as I know , none of that reef killing mystery bacteria that is attacking the north shore coral areas.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling locations?

You probably already went and you probably know that Poipu doesn't have the calmest water in the summer months.

But if you want to try it again here's a good spot right by where you're staying, Kiahuna Plantation. Walk down the beachfront to the Koa Kea Resort, right next to you. There's a small bay right in front of Koa Kea that has some sand, some rocky areas. This area is protected and is a great spot for beginner snorkeling. You can practice snorkeling in shallower and calmer water here and see enough for starters.

After you get the hang of it you can walk a little further past the Koa Kea and then the Marriott and you're right at the snorkeling area of Poipu Beach Park. It's a little rougher here and the currents are stronger so you might want to try the first place I recommend to get your feet wet with snorkeling.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,904 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling locations?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

We've had a south swell in the last couple of days here on the South Shore, so snorkeling hasn't been the best....but that is subsiding now and there are a couple good places to enjoy snorkeling here, most of which have been mentioned.

The cove in front of the Marriott Waiohai (part of Po'ipu Beach) is popular with snorkelers....there is a lava shelf to the west of the cove that has many honu and other reef fish that feed there.....I swim there every week and there are always lots of snorkelers in enjoying the ocean.

You can park in the public parking area for Po'ipu Beach...go to the extreme west end of the parking lot and park....you will see a beach access path that will take you directly to the beach in front of the Waiohai...there are even showers there for you to rinse off afterwards!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Gulfport...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling locations?

Hideaways was my favorite spot, but lots of our group loved Poipu!

California
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling locations?

Take a trip north to the last beach on the road called Ke'e Beach. Our granddaughter was afraid but eventually got in the water, put on a mask and saw fish right near the shore. She was so excited! You can see more but swimming out further but they are very close and very colorful.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling locations?

Go to the right of the tombolo at poipu beach at low tide,,,its not rough at all and there can be a surprising number of fish.....even a turtle or two.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling locations?

I should also add that I went to Anini today....very calm, but not many fish....so you would probably be underwhelmed.

9. Re: Snorkeling locations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 05:17