We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

makahuena Resort

Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
makahuena Resort

Has anyone stayed at the Castle Resort Makahuena in Poipu? We have 5 adults going in November. It is available in a 3 bedroom condo but I can't find much feedback. Is the beach close? It looks like it in the pictures. Thanks.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,943 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: makahuena Resort

Makahuena is on Pe'e Road at the point. It will be about a 10 minute walk down Pe'e Road to Brennecke's Beach and a bit farther to Poipu Beach Park (15 minutes). You can also walk to Shipwreck's Beach in front of the Grand Hyatt in about 10 minutes though this beach is rarely swimable. Here is an aerial view of the resort: hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/kauai/ka…

I would also check out Google Maps to get a better idea of the walk to the different beaches. Street view gives you a great understanding of the road itself. We walked along Pe'e Road from Nihi Kai condos several times on our last trip earlier this month.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: makahuena Resort

Of the string of condos along Pe'e Road Makahuena is the farthest out from Poipu Beach. I'd actually give it more like a 20 minute walk to Poipu Beach Park. It's a 2-lane road with a low speed limite as it's a residential area. A couple of small hills during the walk, part of it has a sidewalk but most of it is a gravel shoulder to walk on. There are places closer to Poipu Beach and an easier walk. Poipu Kai has some 3 bedroom units. You'd want to be in either the Manualoha, Kahala or Regency sections for a walk to Poipu Beach . The rental agency Suite Paradise has the majority of units at Poiu Kai. Parrish Kauai also has a few to pick from.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,943 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: makahuena Resort

<<I'd actually give it more like a 20 minute walk to Poipu Beach Park. >>

I guess it will depend on how fast one walks. We walked from Building 8 at Nihi Kai to the Grand Hyatt along Pe'e Road with an 11 year old in tow on a few occasions. It took us 20 minutes, tops. We did not have any beach stuff to carry. I agree about checking out the condos closer to the beach if that's what the OP is looking for. I know a lot of folks enjoy the location of Makahuena though we have not stayed there yet. We prefer to be a lot closer to the beach. Nihi Kai has 3 - 3 bedroom units.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: makahuena Resort

We have been staying at the Makahuena for the past seven years and will be back again next year.

It is a well maintained complex perched on the lava rock bluff over the ocean and is a beautiful spot to catch sunrises and sunsets each day. It is also a great spot for whale watching depending on the time of year you are there.

Most units are individually owned and can vary in terms of how up to date and well maintained they are.

Here's a link that shows where the buildings are located: http://www.luxurypoipu.com/ownerspage.html

Building five where we always stay, is directly in front of the pool on the ocean and offers terrific views.

In our opinion the Makahuena suits our needs well. You can take a beautiful walk along the shore over to the Hyatt and shipwreck beach if you wish or Poipu beach and Lawai beaches are just a few minutes away by car and are great snorkeling spots.

There are numerous restaurants and shopping opportunities close by in Koloa Town, Poipu shopping center and Kukuiula shopping center.

kukuiula.com/community/the-shops-at-kukuiula

Based on our experiences I'd say don't sweat the location...just relax and enjoy!

Kalaheo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: makahuena Resort

I have visited one of the 3 bedroom units at this condo and the 3rd br is way up stairs (3 stories) with very little ventilation and very hot. Don't stay if your units don't have AC. This place feels very crowded and the pool is not very big. The views are fantastic, but there are much better places close by like Poipu Kai.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: makahuena Resort

We've stayed here 3 times in the past 3 years and are headed back again next week. For two of those trips, we spent a month at the resort. I recommend looking on VRBO -- you can see pictures of the condos - they do differ as others have said. It's an unusual layout in some respects but great views from many of the units. As another said, the walk along the shoreline to the Hyatt and beyond up into the cliffs is spectacular (yet easy). Stop to see the turtles along the way (by the bench). We walked to Poipu Beach many, many days -- another great walk and 15 minutes tops with a toddler in tow (also another great place to see turtles as you round the curve on Pe'e Road -- I think it's still Pe'e there). We used to stay at Whaler's Cove further west and have grown to really like this location to the east as well as the more economical prices.

7. Re: makahuena Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 06:19