We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Point at Poipu reservation

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Point at Poipu reservation

I have booked Point at Poipu for 1 week through a timeshare, however I need to book an additional night or 2. My booking is for March 2014. I have found nightly rates run around $350-400 which is very expensive. I have searched on line and called them directly.

Does anyone know how or when I could find a nightly rate at a lower price? Is closer to the date better?

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Point at Poipu reservation

I would just book those extra nights somewhere else - the Sheraton in Poipu, the Marriott in Lihue or even the Courtyard Marriott would fit the bill (not sure what your budget is but each property is less than $350/night) and as hotels, do not require cleaning fees or minimum stays. You could even look into the Westin up North but I'm not sure what their rack rates are.

If you are set on staying put, there are folks who rent out their weeks at the Point on VRBO but usually its in one-week chunks. If an owner or Diamond Resorts member makes a booking it is points-based, not weeks, so you can get as many or as few nights as you'd like, so you might try to find a DR owner who would book a one or two night stay for you - but you might end up changing units.

Edited: 15 September 2013, 21:21
St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
973 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Point at Poipu reservation

Since it is a timeshare, most booking are done by the week, and rentals are hard to come by, especially 1-2 day rentals. Since you would probably have to change rooms anyway, you might try booking at another location in Poipu that focuses more on rentals.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Point at Poipu reservation

I'm assuming you would still need a condo for those extra nights? There are many condo complexes in the area but you're going to be up against a minimum stay requirement of at least 3 nights, probably more like 5 at that time of the year. There is an exception to this though (see below). Resort hotels...... just as expensive if not more at that time of the year and you'll have only one hotel room.

Your options:

1. Bite the bullet and remain at the Point ( saves the hassle of moving)

2. Condo with exception to minimum stay rule ----- Kiahuna Plantation ( by renting through Outrigger Resorts). Kiahuna Plantation is a lovely condo complex sitting right on a great swimming beach (no pool though at this time). These are privately owned condos , most of the owners have chosen Outrigger Resorts or Castle Resorts to manage their units. Contrary to most condo complexes these two companies manage their units more or less on the same basis as hotels. This means, low minimum stays ( you can do 2 day), no full prepayment in advance, no security deposit, no contract to sign. Usually a 1-2 night deposit is required and you pay the balance there. Easy and uncomplicated just like a hotel.

Not sure what size of unit you need. One bedrooms are good deals. Two bedrooms can be the same range as the Point price per night. It might be a nice contrast to the Point. One focuses on the pool and the other on the great beach.

You can find it by googling "Kiahuna Plantation Outrigger Resorts" or "Kiahuna Plantation Castle Resorts"

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Point at Poipu reservation

We are staying 1 week at the Point and 1 week in Kaapa, so I wanted to avoid moving 3 times. I got such a good rate at the Point 1 week for $1400 including resort fee so I don't want to cancel that booking. We are a family of 5, so if it was 1 night we may be able squeeze in a room.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,962 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Point at Poipu reservation

The State of Hawaii does not allow 5 persons in a traditional Hotel room ( squeezed in or not..). ...it violates their occupancy codes.

California
Level Contributor
35,206 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Point at Poipu reservation

Even if you stay 2 more nights at The Point, you still need to move from one room to another.

I know at some timeshare resorts they have whats called bonus time and you can buy nights for cheap. Is that what you inquired about?

If you do decide to move, go visit the North Shore for a few days.

central cove
Level Contributor
326 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Point at Poipu reservation

Call Parrish they may have some open days around your time frame. They manage a lot of property in the Poipu area, and they are great to deal with.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Point at Poipu reservation

" I got such a good rate at the Point 1 week for $1400 including resort fee so I don't want to cancel that booking"

Okay you got a smokin' deal for those 7 days. I'd just pop for the higher rate for the extra days and figure you more than made up for it with the cheap price you got for the first few days.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Point at Poipu reservation

I'm worried about the weather in North in the month of March, so not sure if I would want to stay there.

I did call the resort and the rates were over $400 a night, they said try back a couple of months before maybe the rates would go down. I will check with Parrish and see what they have to say.Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
35,206 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Point at Poipu reservation

<<I'm worried about the weather in North in the month of March, so not sure if I would want to stay there.>>

I don't blame you, but in March you need to watch the weather in Poipu too.

How about staying at The Marriott in Kalapaki Bay? For $400, you can get two rooms.