We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprise at Tom's Place

California
Level Contributor
9,473 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Surprise at Tom's Place

Sorry, just had to share this. This morning on our way home from Yosemite my husband and I stopped for breakfast at Tom's Place, a little diner near Crowley Lake just south of Mammoth. We both ordered coffee, and, to my surprise, my blue mug had Poipu Beach Club written on it. I asked the waitress how she happened to have it, and she said that folks just leave different mugs with them; it didn't really have any significance to her. Well, it made my day : ))

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,436 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surprise at Tom's Place

Cool! A little bit of Kauai in the Sierra's.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Surprise at Tom's Place

Oh nuts, I thought there was going to be more to the story such as "when waitress brought the restaurant folder that contained the check that when opened there were tickets to Kauai.".. a surprise from your husband.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surprise at Tom's Place

pretty cool, from far far away, you receive the mug refering to Poipu......especailly with your connection to the island of Kauai. Plus, it must have been a neat place to eat with the tradition of people dropping off mugs from far flung travels.

Aloha lives everywhere

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surprise at Tom's Place

Reminds me of an experience I had a few weeks ago here in St. Louis. The skies were gray and gloomy, my day was NOT going well, and I was running late but had to drop a package at my local UPS Store. As I stood at the counter while my package label was being printed, I looked around the store and saw a large poster of a cheerful young woman holding a pie and wearing a "Right Slice Pie" apron! Yes, it was THE Right Slice Pie (had the word "Kauai" stitched on the apron)! Talk about lifting my mood - a little bit of Kauai smiling at me just when I needed it!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surprise at Tom's Place

Reminds me of an experience I had a few weeks ago here in St. Louis. The skies were gray and gloomy, my day was NOT going well, and I was running late but had to drop a package at my local UPS Store. As I stood at the counter while my package label was being printed, I looked around the store and saw a large poster of a cheerful young woman holding a pie and wearing a "Right Slice Pie" apron! Yes, it was THE Right Slice Pie (had the word "Kauai" stitched on the apron)! Talk about lifting my mood - a little bit of Kauai smiling at me just when I needed it!

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surprise at Tom's Place

I like to spend weekend mornings with coffee out by Crab Cove near my apartment in Alameda. This area is on the flight path from Oakland Airport over the SF Bay. So after 6 or 7 weekends watching the Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines flights taking off to Kauai, I decided I needed to be on one of those flights, and when I got home I booked a trip for mid-February, 2014. It will be on quite the budget, but life has been hella stressful this year and Kauai is always my stress antidote.

So the moral of this post is be careful when you're back home and you start seeing Kauai in unexpected places because it will make you start thinking, "I wonder if I really could ..." and in my case I've been wondering if I could go back again during whale season - it was so amazing! I give up - I'm hopeless!

California
Level Contributor
9,473 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surprise at Tom's Place

Good for you, malawacky! I hope to be there during whale season one day.

8. Re: Surprise at Tom's Place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 06:17