We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One last opinion...

California
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One last opinion...

First - thank you so much for all of the advice so far from everyone on Trip Advisor! I think we've narrowed down our accommodation decision to 2 units... Nihi Kai #403 and Manualoha #205. We want a nice view, a pool and a quick, easy walk to a beach (we're traveling with a 9 year old and a 6 year old). I think we're leaning toward the Manualoha, but really wanted feedback, as so many people seem to prefer Nihi Kai. Thanks again - we're extremely excited!!

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/nk403/

suite-paradise.com/vrp/…

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,946 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One last opinion...

Have you had a chance to read the reviews of both units? I remember Manualoha #106 being pretty hot when we stayed there and there was little to no cross breezes (I read the first review and it jogged my memory). I have not stayed in this complex since 1998. Both units seem very comparable. Bedrooms downstairs with living upstairs. Very reputable rental agencies in Poipu. The Manualoha unit seems to be more expensive. The walk to the beach from Manualoha is along the green belt, maybe easier for your child. The walk to the beach from Nihi Kai has one small area with no sidewalk but that has never been in issue for me and my kids. There is a grassy area that we walk on in front of those three houses along that road. I really like the pool at Nihi Kai. The pool at Manualoha is also nice though I have not been there in 15 years. My husband just stayed in Nihi Kai #400 in December and really enjoyed the location and the views from the living area. Not sure about the view from the Manualoha unit. The pictures do not show it very well. It looks like you are looking over the houses (from this aerial view). The Nihi Kai unit looks over the pool and pool bathrooms.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/kauai/ka…

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g60625-…

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g60625-…

Edited: 17 January 2014, 21:34
Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
82 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One last opinion...

I've only stayed in Nihi Kai, but have always looked at Manualoha and considered it as well. We've stayed at Nihi Kai's with our 3 children 4 times, very easy walk to the beach. But you'd probably be a tad closer at manualoha. Even though I haven't stayed there, I've waked by manualoha many times and I think the Nihi Kai pool and view are better. I've stayed in NK #400, that's a great building. Really, you'll probably love either one because you'll be in one of the most beautiful places in the world!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,595 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One last opinion...

I'd go with the Manualoha unit. It's in building 2 which is a nice short walk down the paved pathway to the beach. Will you have children with you? If so, I'd give the Manualoha units the edge on size - they're a bit bigger than Nihi Kai and the floorplan is more user friendly than the two story units at Nihi Kai with the bathrooms only on the bottom bedroom level and none on the living level. Some Nihi Kai units have been remodeled to include a bathroom on the main living level so check to see if unit 403 has that.

There's a lot of open lawn space at Manualoha for kids and the paved walkway that cuts through it takes you right to the Grand Hyatt on one end and the beaches on the Manualoha end. It's a nice walk to the Hyatt for evening dinner , the luau or the torchlighting ceremony.

Building 4 at Nihi Kai has a small parking lot right off of the lanai or some of the units. Take a look at the resort map and you'll see unit 403 does have the parking area partially in front of it. Opposite this parking area is the small building that contains the pool restrooms. You should still have a pretty good water view though. The opposite end of the building, farthest from the road, have the best views and more quiet environment. I've talked to folks who stayed in the west end of the building next to Nalo Rd. who weren't too happy about the road noise . Quite possible unit 403, being in the center of the building, wouldn't be impacted.

If you want more unobstructed views and lots of open space right outside the unit entrance you should go with the Manualoha unit.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 03:35
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,946 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One last opinion...

Napa, Isn't Building 2 and 3 of Manulaoha on the OTHER side of parking lot? And the green belt? At least that's what I'm seeing on the aerial views. I've only stayed in Buildings 1 and 4, the west end unit of 4 being the best for views and cross breezes. I just remember the east end of Building 1 #106 (right in front of Building 2) being pretty hot.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,595 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: One last opinion...

Martik, building 2 might be tucked back a little further but there is still a lot more open grounds at Manualoha / Poipu Kai that are available for everyone to enjoy.

It doesn't matter if it's Manualoha, Nihi Kai , Poipu Shores, any of those who directly face the afternoon sun. They can all get pretty toasty in the afternoon. It isn't just Manualoha.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 17:34
6. Re: One last opinion...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:18