We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there road noise by Alihi Lani?

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
413 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Is there road noise by Alihi Lani?

Hello, I am looking into a Kauai vacation (March 2014) for my husband and I and our 3 daughters (who will be 15, 12, and 9). I am looking for nice, upgraded units that are ocean view for under $350 a night.

I looked at the units on VRBO for Kiahuna Plantaton and none of them had washer and dryer in unit. So that was out. (I know other rental properties manage some of the units but have heard negative things so don't want to chance it).

I have been looing at Alihi Lani for a while. It is a very small 6 condo unit with a pool. All of the units have a great ocean view and seem nicely upgraded. My question is -- looking at the map, it looks as though this unit is right by Ho'onani Road. Do any of you know if there is a lot of traffic noise by these condos?

Thanks so much for your help!

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
413 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there road noise by Alihi Lani?

Correction, looking for next year -- March 2015

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there road noise by Alihi Lani?

Its no more noise than at Poipu Kapili. That is another really nice smaller complex with upscale units. The only noise around that area is when people park their cars along the road for whale watching or sunsets.

Check out unit #54 at Poipu Kapili. She also owns a nice condo at Alii Lani. I have recommended that one before but can't remember the number. I will see if its in my files.

PS There are indeed some units at Kiahuna Plantation that have washer/dryers but between you and me, a 2 bedroom with 5 people might be tight. I would go for more space but it is nice to be on the beach.

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there road noise by Alihi Lani?

I found the condo:

http://www.vrbo.com/481181

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there road noise by Alihi Lani?

Alihi Lani is a wonderful place. Ho'onani road is a small 2-lane road and by most mainlander's standards traffic on it would be considered very light.

If you're still concerned Poipu Kapili has a building that is facing the pool that has the 2-story, 2-bedroom units. They're not all in the two buildings that front the road. These units are very large with 2 bedrooms upstairs, each with it's own bathroom. The entryway also has a bathroom. One that we used to rent had a shower and washer and dryer in the bathroom. Many of these units at PK have been remodeled to include the extra bathroom and washer-dryer. You should go to poipukapili.com and check out each individual unit.

Yes, there are Kiahuna units that have been retrofitted with a washer-dryer. You'll find these units on VRBO.com. The main listing agencies, Outrigger and Castle, probably manage and rent out units that have them also but since they don't rent by specific unit or market each unit individually they won't advertise that as a feature of the complex. Lucky are those who arrive and discover their unit does them.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there road noise by Alihi Lani?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There have been recent discussions here on the "pau hana" parties that take place on Ho'onani Road's "wall" by the ocean at sunset and how they have really "ramped up" in the last year or so.....here is a Trip Report from someone staying at Po'ipu Kapili (next door to Alihi Lani) that mentions this and some other information from posters on this.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k71387…

Something that might, or might not be an issue for you, but it is happening, so worthwhile knowing about.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
413 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there road noise by Alihi Lani?

Thank you all, for your insights. The price is great and has a nice view, so thinking this might be the best option in our budget.

Also took a peek at Poipu Shores, which seems to have condos that sleep 4-6, good rates, and ocean view. If you had to choose between the two, what would your preference be?

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there road noise by Alihi Lani?

I would pick AL. I just like the location better. Closer to walks to the stores and food.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,951 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there road noise by Alihi Lani?

Have you checked out Nihi Kai at all? We've stayed there several times in the past few years. The units are large and many sleep 5-6 easily. We usually spend closer to $200-$250/night. It's close to Brennecke's and Poipu Beach and you can get great views. We stayed building #2 in 2010 and loved the location and views. We also like building 8 for more sweeping ocean views and sunsets.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/kauai/ka…

Canada
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there road noise by Alihi Lani?

We have stayed at Alihi Lani....AL4, second floor end unit with A/C. We stayed for a period of 3 weeks and enjoyed our time there immensely.

The views are breathtaking and the location absolutely perfect, so central to everything! We were not bothered by any road noise in the least.

Alihi Lani is a great property.... We are frequent visitors to the Island mostly Poipu area, and AL is in our top 3.

We had walked by it and drove by it numerous times before making an actual booking, It is so hard to judge by a mere drive-by. ....staying there really was a good move...it couldn't have been lovelier.

Poipu Shores has never been on our radar. I don't like the access and parking in and out of the property. Lots of turtles however.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there road noise by Alihi Lani?

Without a doubt I'd choose Alihi Lani over Poipu Shores. It just has a much more open feel and more open to the ocean. Units are larger and it's a much , much smaller and more intimate complex. The sunset parties along Ho'onani Road are just that - watching the sunsets and toasting to it , with whatever drink of choice. This isn't the only place it happens. And it's not like the entire length of Ho'onani is packed with cars. Many of the residents and vacationers come out and do the same. I've joined in myself and I wouldn't consider it wild. A wild time on Kauai wouldn't be considered wild to most.