We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What resort have FEWER Kids

NJ
Level Contributor
253 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What resort have FEWER Kids

Hi folks, we are looking at resorts in Poipu and notice several of them have Kids programs. Last time we went to a resort with kids programs the place was overrun by little ones. My husband and don't have kids and prefer not to vacation with them, no offense intended, we vacation at Sandals a lot for the reason there are no kids.

So can you suggest a resort that tends to Not attract families or tell me which ones are likely to have lots of kids?

Thanks

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,217 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What resort have FEWER Kids

When are you going? If you avoid school holidays there will be fewer kids in general. Koa Kea really doesn't attract families. Hyatt does.

NJ
Level Contributor
253 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What resort have FEWER Kids

I forgot, it won't be till the last week of January 2015. School will be in session. Having no kids, I didn't think of that.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What resort have FEWER Kids

Yeah, but it still always surprises me how many parents I see in January with their kids out of school. If you can do Koa Kea, I'm sure you won't see a lot of children. The Hyatt, with their fabulous pools attract more, but the place is so big and well-laid out that I've never felt a crush of kids or other people for that matter. If you would consider a condo, Kuhio Shores has some really nice units with great views by a good snorkeling area and they have no pool with mostly one bedroom units -- very few kids usually around.

NJ
Level Contributor
253 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What resort have FEWER Kids

Thanks I'll look at those properties. The biggest problem with kids is their parents, many who seen not to want to be around them or watch them.

NJ
Level Contributor
253 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What resort have FEWER Kids

Any thought on the Sheraton. My husband and I like big pool too, guess were kids at heart. A few wouldn't bother us, but I have been at places that are over run by them

California
Level Contributor
35,521 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What resort have FEWER Kids

The Sheraton will have families because its budget friendly. Honestly the only resort with few kids is Koa Kea or rent a house in Poipu with a pool.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What resort have FEWER Kids

Schools on the mainland being in session doesn't make a huge difference. Small difference but not what you'd expect. Schools and parents are very lenient on this these days (with the exception of secondary levels). It's common to pull kids out for a vacation and many teachers will send them off with assignments. Not to speak of the many home-schoolers.

The safest bet would be the Koa Kea Resort. I can't think of any other true resort that could match it in that regard. You're not going to find the Sandals type places in Hawaii.

California
Level Contributor
35,521 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What resort have FEWER Kids

Last January when I went over I swear the airplane had been rented by a day care center. There were so many kids under 5 it was unreal. I would suggest maybe a resort like 4 Seasons on The Big Island or Fairmont Orchid.

California
Level Contributor
9,299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What resort have FEWER Kids

The Sheraton is on a great beach--just down from the Koa Kea--with a nice ocean front pool. I've never seen it overrun with kids--the Marriott Waiohai--yes, but not the Sheraton. The Sheraton is also a bit closer to restaurants and shopping. However, agree with others, Koa Kea will have the fewest kids, but keep in mind that if you plan on using the beach there, you'll be sharing it with Kiahuna Plantation, a condo complex that sits between the Sheraton and Koa Kea.

NJ
Level Contributor
253 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What resort have FEWER Kids

Thanks. Luckily in Hawaii you don't need a sandals type of place