We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu

Perryville, Missouri
8 posts
Save Topic
Poipu

My husband and I want to arrive in Kauai on June 13th, 2014, and stay on the South Shore, but do not want to stay in a condo. We will rent a car while there, touring the island until our departure on June 21st. We need some suggestions for accommodations that are preferrably ocean front.

California
Level Contributor
36,056 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Poipu

People get shocked when they see the prices of hotels in Poipu. We don't have many so that is why we recommend condos frequently. The only under $300 a night hotels are in Lihue or Kapaa. You pay the big bucks to be in the nicer areas.

California
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Poipu

Karen D, take good care of my "home" for the last several years. We'll be there in July. Love that condo!

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
105 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Poipu

Stayed at The Grand Hyatt Resort a few weeks ago-we loved it for a variety of reasons. The grounds are stunning and you can spend hours just strolling around. The hotel itself is beautiful-to say nothing of it employees. The beach, though beautiful, is not swimmable for many. However, we loved walking the shore. There are excellent restaurants on site and many others nearby. We absolutely loved it.

Alaska
Level Contributor
193 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Poipu

WE have stayed at both Prince Kuhio, ok very close to beaches and the Lawai beach resort which we now stay at every year. They are incredible. If you go to VRBO and check it out or call them it is usually well under your $300 limit and you get so much more than a hotel. Pools, BBQ, hot tubs, fully apartments some with washer and dryer in the rooms.

As for rental car start checking off and on now. I used rentalcars.com and booked what I thought was great price with no upfront fees and just now found it for even $100 less this week. So that is awesome for me to spend on something else fun in Kauai.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Poipu

Just a hint from someone who stays at the Hyatt in Poipu. We get around paying the price on the web site in many different ways over the years. Join their Gold Passport Club for free to begin with to get a #.

A couple years ago, Chase Credit Card began offering 2 Free nights at any Hyatt Property. Many of us signed up for it. Now, you do have to spend $1,000 only, in a three month window, to get the free rooms, after that you can cancel the card if you want. Buying groceries, gas for the cars, restaurants, etc only took us a month. They had the credit in our account the next week. We had enough Gold Passport Points for two other nights, so practically stayed for free for 4 nights, then we moved to another hotel on the north shore after that.

https:/…hyatt-card.aspx

Often use the Sunshine on Sale rate. Pay for 5 nights, get the 6th one free, plus free breakfast buffet $30 pp value daily, room Category upgrade in the package.

Have found some good deals. Check Costco packages including air fare. One year Costco sold Hyatt certificates for $79 each, value $100. I combined that with 20% off AAA rates. I did arrive at the hotel with a stack of certificates to pay the bill, but I didn't care.

Last year we use an America Air package. Lowered our airfare, and Hyatt rate, breakfast included. Other airlines have packages too.

We've also stayed in a resort part of the time, and condo part of the time, just be flexible. Some people reserve a condo, then take a night or two break at the Hyatt Resort in the middle of their stay. They have lower daily rates.

Good luck.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Poipu

We just left the Aston Regency at Poipu Kai and loved it. We're in Princeville right now. Our ground level, 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo was literally steps from the pool and BBQ and about a five minute walk through manicured grounds (access to 3 pools and tennis courts) to Poipu Beach. The condo worked really well for us and we ended up driving to the beaches anyway because we have a toddler, so being 'on the beach' didn't end up mattering for us. We could also walk to the Grand Hyatt (about 7 min at normal adult pace? we took about 20 min. because we talked with lots of people on the way and chased birds and lizards) and we sat on the swinging benches overlooking the beach there. I would stay there again in a second.

17. Re: Poipu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 04:18