We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiahuna Plantation (thru Costco) or Poipu Kapili

Monroe, Washington
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kiahuna Plantation (thru Costco) or Poipu Kapili

I am debating between the Kaihuna plantation or Poipu Kapili. We have 2 daughter (17 and 21). We would like beach access and a pool I am a little concerned with plantation because I have heard not all guest get pool access? Also, how far of a walk is it from Kapili to a swimming/snorkeling beach? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,618 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiahuna Plantation (thru Costco) or Poipu Kapili

There is no pool on the grounds of Kiahuna Plantation. The pool is across the road, which sounds like it may be a deal breaker for you. Poipu Kapili is ok. Longer walk to Poipu Beach/Park but ok. The property is not remarkable.

What other optios are there through Costco? Do you see Marriott Waiohai Resort? Your daughters would love the pool, the water front location, and the energy of the Waiohai.

California
Level Contributor
38,359 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiahuna Plantation (thru Costco) or Poipu Kapili

It depends on which management company you rent through that gets you access to the pool across the street. The appeal of Kiahuna Plantation is beach access. To get to the beach from PK is about a 10-15 min walk.

Personally I wouldn't rent through Costco because you don't know what you are getting.

The Marriott is a timeshare property and I've heard it can be expensive to rent there unless you find a deal on Craiglist or Redweek where someone wants to rents you their week. Its a great property.

Monroe, Washington
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiahuna Plantation (thru Costco) or Poipu Kapili

The Marriott would be great but way too expensive for me!!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,618 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiahuna Plantation (thru Costco) or Poipu Kapili

Got you and understand. Those Kauai digs can be expensive.

Well, if you/your daughters can live with the pool across the (busy) Poipu Road and it is not anything sexy, the pool that is; just an ordinary condo complex type of a pool than Kiahuna would be your best bet.

I bet you can get a condo at Poipu Kai but, again, pools are ordinary and condo quality depends on what an owner invests in it. Try shopping through an on-Island Real Estate company. You will be able to see pics of the actual condo you are considering vs. photoshopped promotional brochure.

California
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiahuna Plantation (thru Costco) or Poipu Kapili

With two daughters, you'd probably want a two bedroom. You can rent through a private owner like the one found on this site. www.kiahunaplantationcondos.com Poipu Kapili is also a great option and often recommended here. It's less than a five minute walk to one of the best beaches in front of the Sheraton.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,347 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiahuna Plantation (thru Costco) or Poipu Kapili

Hands down Poipu Kapili.

The property is a real Gem, and the units are substantially more spacious than those at Kiahuna. Most all of the units have some sort of Oceanview...if not direct ocean view.

The pool is heated , landscaping is meticulous, and the property is managed by a great crew.

The walk to the beach is not very far at all...5-10 mins......probably the same distance as it would be to Kiahuna's pool. The pool access at KP is determined how you booked the unit( Rather confusing)

Poipu Kapili also has an increasing number of units that have AC(Bonus)

central cove
Level Contributor
326 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiahuna Plantation (thru Costco) or Poipu Kapili

Keep Shopping, use Costco for your rental car. Try

The Parrish Collection and Kauai Vacation Rentals, both very reliable and accurate in their descriptions. Avoid time share rentals if possible and you can always check VRBO, ( Vacation Rental By Owner ), if you find something check back with a forum search or ask the forum.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,943 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiahuna Plantation (thru Costco) or Poipu Kapili

I'd be curious if you are getting a decent deal through Costco Travel. I just compared their prices on a cruise I'm considering for Thanksgiving and my travel agent was able to get a better deal. Are you also getting a rental car with Costco (I assume a package deal)? I usually price everything out separately and compare. I would also be concerned about which unit you are renting. At least with Parrish, KVR, GIR, Suite-Paradise, and VRBO, you see pictures and read descriptions of the exact unit you will be renting. Also, the best deals on rental cars has been with Discount Hawaii Car Rental.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 02:38
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,590 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kiahuna Plantation (thru Costco) or Poipu Kapili

These are both wonderful properties. Before we had our own place on Kauai we always vacillated in deciding which one of these two to stay at.

Kiahuna Plantation caveat..... I wouldn't rent via Costco. You need to know which unit or location you're getting and you won't that way. With two teens you're going to need ROOM. The Kiahuna one bedrooms are far too small for you. There are 2-level two bedroom units there but they are few in number, book out fast, and are pricey.

Poipu Kapili is a fantastic complex. Someone said there's nothing remarkable about it? I have to differ on this. These are mostly upscale and large condos in a quality, well-constructed complex that gets amongst the highest of real estate prices in Poipu. There's a real pride in ownership here and it shows in the quality of the updates by owners. There's also great satisfaction by owners in their own rental division onsite. This is why you won't find a myriad of rental agencies representing units there. The main rental arm is right onsite and is well-managed. There's a large book of repeat renters here. The 2-bedroom units are townhouse style, 2 levels. Both bedrooms are upstairs and each have their own bathroom - a real plus with teens. A beautiful, private and quiet central courtyard area with great direct ocean views. Most units have at least a partial ocean view by the way the buildings are angled. The best thinig about it is location - just a 5 minute walk to the beach at the Sheraton and Kiahuna - a much nicer swimming beach than Poipu Beach Park, imo, but the park is just a 10 minute walk along the shoreline if you want to snorkel there. It's also in a good location for walking to shops and restaurants at Kukuiula Village or Poipu Shopping Village.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,786 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kiahuna Plantation (thru Costco) or Poipu Kapili

Beautiful pool and much nicer, newer condos at Poipu Kapili.