We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Poipu when my boyfriend is diving?

San Mateo...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Poipu when my boyfriend is diving?

My boyfriend will be scuba diving near Koloa Landing on Tuesday morning from 7:30 until 11:30 (we're staying up north in Princeville). I don't scuba dive, so I'm looking for suggestions on how to spend 4 hours in Poipu. The beaches are beautiful, but if I need to get out of the sun does the Sheraton or another resort of have a shaded patio that that they'd let me relax in and read a book, (and possibly take a bit of a nap)? Also open to suggestions beyond the beach and shopping. Thanks!!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Poipu when my boyfriend is diving?

At the Sheraton, like any resort, they look to see if the people using their chaise lounge chairs are guests by looking at their towels. That said, there are still some shady spots on the grass near the sand where you could relax in your own beach chair. You could also relax on the shady lawn of the Beach House restaurant right next to Lawai Beach. Lots of people do this and the restaurant allows it. Just a quarter mile down the street is Spouting Horn where you could check out the vendor's tents for souveniers.

You could also walk through Kukuiula Village and check out the shops and restaurants. Nicely done with plantation style architecture and lots of foliage with benches and shady areas to sit. Also very close to Spouting Horn and the Beach House restaurant / Lawai Beach. Spouting Horn , the Beach House restaurant and Kukuiula are all right in the area of where your boyfriend is diving.

Another option is relaxing at Poipu Beach Park on the grass lawn under the shade of a palm tree on the grass. Brennecke's deli right across the street, first floor of the 2-story blue building, has great sandwiches made to order and shave ice. You could take these back to the park and grab a picnic table.

Edited: 11 May 2014, 19:54
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Poipu when my boyfriend is diving?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Just bring your own beach chair from Princeville and find a nice area under a palm tree to read....either at Po'ipu Beach Park (or the area adjacent to it going all the way down to the Sheraton)......or go to the National Tropical Botanical Gardens....either for a self guided tour of the Visitor area, or book a tour of their gardens. http://ntbg.org/gardens/mcbryde.php

You could also enjoy the "Moir Gardens", which is right by the Plantation Gardens Restaurant......http://ntbg.org/gardens/mcbryde.php

You could go to Spouting Horn (across from the National Tropical Botanical Gardens) and enjoy the views from there and browse the vendors.

If you want to shop in an upscale shopping area, try Kukui'ula Shopping Village....lots of high end shops and restaurants here....you can get a great shave ice or shave snow at Uncle's Shave Ice there by the way! kukuiula.com/community/the-shops-at-kukuiula/

Or drive into Old Koloa town and browse the shops there along the boardwalk: gohawaii.com/kauai/…old-koloa-town

All of these things are right in the area where your husband will be diving (except for Old Koloa town, which is about 2 miles away).

Lots of choices of things to do here!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Poipu when my boyfriend is diving?

The sun is pretty intense down there at Koloa Landing. I ended up waiting in the car with a good book with all of the windows down last summer when my husband and son went diving. Kukui'ula Shopping center (as mentioned above) is very close and they have a lot of shady areas and benches. You could grab a quick breakfast at Living Foods (in the same shopping center) once he starts his dive. You could also use the time to explore parts of Poipu (also mentioned above). If you do end up waiting in the car, I would park on the road above Koloa Landing. There really is little to no breeze down where they start their dives.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Poipu when my boyfriend is diving?

Poipu Beach: Shade trees, picnic tables and benches, and covered pavillons with tables and benches. You can pick up a snack from Brenneckes Deli across the road. You have views of beach, snorkel area, and the ocean. About 2 minute drive to Koloa Landing. Also, there are facilties.

Next door at the Marriot Waiohai, there is a great tiki bar and grille, the Honu, outside, but still shaded, next to the pool and the beach. Very pleasant, easy going and freindly. Quality resort.

The last reports that I received from Koloa Landing from Surfrider.....Koloa Landing is quite poluted with contaminents, and low vis for diving. If he his going out on a boat to Sheraton Caverns, he should be fine there. You can check on Surfriders web site, for latest water quaility reports and do as you wish.

We see Kauai Seasports boat going out of and returning from diving the caverns.....out of kukui'ula small boat harbor. Just FYI, all of the visitors are totally free to seclect any dive, or snorkel site.

5. Re: What to do in Poipu when my boyfriend is diving?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:17