We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to stay in Kauai

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Best places to stay in Kauai

We are going on our honeymoon in October and splitting in between Maui and Kauai (5 nights each). We were thinking of either staying in the Poipu area or Wailua area. It seems you can get a better value in the Wailua area and it is more centrally located between the northern portion and the southern portion which I am assuming we will want to go to at least 2 or 3 days to see the Waimea Canyon and beaches in the south and the Na Pali Coast State Park and beaches in the north. I was wondering if there was other nice things to do in the Wailua area. I know the beaches and weather are beautiful in the Poipu area if we chose to stay there.

Any suggestions will be helpful of must-see/do things. We want to make sure we experience Hawaii and don't just spend our time lounging at the resort, but I am sure we will want some relaxation as it will be our honeymoon.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,339 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to stay in Kauai

Do you have a budget in mind? Hotel or is a condo OK?

Canada
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to stay in Kauai

Well Poipu would be my choice....or North shore...Princeville, Hanalei, Anini etc....

Wailua is rather industrial with non swimmable beaches.......sure the locale is central...but you want a pleasant spot to stay.

Kauai is a relatively small Island, and really easy to navigate. Stay in Poipu...you will love it.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to stay in Kauai

My budget depends on how much we spend in Maui. We are fine with a hotel since it will be nice and convenient, but also like the idea of a condo in order to be more secluded and probably a good way to save money on food. If we get a less expensive place we can spend more in Kauai and vice versa. I would say between $150-350 a night which is a pretty wide range. I just want to make sure it is a clean and comfortable place. We were looking at the Fern Grotto Inn and also the Koa Kea Hotel which are very different in terms of price. Does anyone have experience with the Fern Grotto Inn or that area? I have heard there might be construction in the Wailua area, but if there is then I would think it would be inconvenient if I stayed in Poipu or Wailua any time I wanted to go up north.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
978 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to stay in Kauai

I'd also vote for Poipu for the reasons mentioned above. Two of Hawaii Magazine's Reader's Choice for most romantic restaurants are in Poipu: Beach House and Tidepools.

http://www.the-beach-house.com/

…hyatt.com/en/hotel/dining/Tidepools.html

A good way to enjoy the Waimea Canyon is taking a downhill bike ride through Outfitters Kauai:

outfitterskauai.com/waimea-canyon-bicycle-do…

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,240 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to stay in Kauai

Wailua is hardly "industrial." It does have several shopping centers of various sizes. There are some very nice places to stay in the area of Wailua/Kapa`a but nothing secluded. I don't think any condo would be, as by definition there would be other condos in the complex.

6. Re: Best places to stay in Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 21:06
Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
78 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to stay in Kauai

I'm traveling to Kauai for the 5th time this summer with my family of 5, love it. If I was traveling there for my honeymoon, I'd choose Poipu and the Koa Kea. It's easy to get to Waimea canyon and the north shore from Poipu. Congratulations and enjoy!

California
Level Contributor
35,591 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places to stay in Kauai

I would choose Poipu overall. You are most likely to have better weather, nicer accommodations, better beaches for water activity and more things to do. Wailua is not industrial (I think that was just the wrong word) but it is a more populated area. If I were to stay on the eastside, I would consider a few inexpensive hotels like Kauai Coast Beach or Waipouli Beach Resort (condos) but if your budget is higher and you want a lovely hotel with a tropical feel, choose Hyatt in Poipu or Koa Kea for a smaller more honeymoon feel.

From Poipu to the far North Shore is almost 2 hours. I would call it an "easy" drive but it is long. You get in lots of traffic in the Wailua and Kapaa area.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places to stay in Kauai

The Hyatt would be my choice for a Honeymoon. It would be at the top of your budget. There are AAA and Costco deals out there. Another savings is the Sunshine on Sale package which gives you a 6th night free if paying for 5 and room upgrade. If you include the breakfast buffet each morning you will save on meals. The buffet is open to 6-11 am, and you fill up enough for lunch. We might buy a smoothie or plate lunch if we are out or about. Usually people go out for dinner, but you can surely save if you go to the fish market and go to a park and grill.

…hyatt.com/en/hotel/dining/IlimaTerrace.html

October is a good time in Poipu.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best places to stay in Kauai

As pzp said, the east side is not "industrial." And if you stay in Poipu, you're going to do a lot of driving to visit the north shore -- which still requires that you drive through the traffic in the Kapaa area. Unless you want the luxury hotel experience, which sounds like it is a bit above your budget (Hyatt, St. Regis, Koa Kea etc.) For 5 days on a first visit, I'd pick the nicest condo I could find on the east shore -- Waipouli Beach Resort, Kauai Coast Resort or Lae Nani.