We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in December

Plainfield, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Kauai in December

We are planning on going for one week in December and I'm nervous about the weather. I would love any suggestions as this is our first trip to Kauai.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai in December

The weather could be perfect, or it could rain every day. Your best bet for almost-guaranteed good weather is to stay in Poipu - though our favorite day from our trip last late September was sitting on our lanai in Hanalei one afternoon, reading books and listening to the rain pour down. We particularly enjoyed the resulting waterfalls...

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,140 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai in December

Could go either way, but early December is often nice. In Po`ipu you've got a good shot at better weather. It might be coolish, by our standards - in the 70's - but possibly not by yours.

If you're here at the time of the Lights on Rice Christmas parade, see it. It's a nice evening, and there will be food and crafts, singing and hula.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 20:06
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,097 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai in December

Here's some temp/rainfall averages for Kaua‘i.

www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx#kauai

Stay away from sites like weather.com...they make it seem like it rains buckets everywhere, everyday, hehehe...this is a much better weather site, but forecasts are only good for a couple of days out.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/kauai.php

If you're planning any weather dependent activities ie: helicopter tour or NaPali boat tour, schedule for the first full day or so of your trip...that way if it needs rescheduled because of weather, hopefully you'll still be on-island.

Winter does bring heavy surf conditions at times, always check the surf report.

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai in December

I'm there very December for the first 2 or 2.5 weeks. I stay in Poipu and love the weather at that time. It's only been seldom that I've had a trip washed out with rain. The heavier winter rains don't begin until a little later. My experience with Poipu in December has generally been ideal and warm enough for swimming, snorkeling.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Plainfield, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai in December

Thank you so much for the information we do arrive on 12/5 so we will see about the parade. I'm still trying to figure out what are the must do's on our trip. We do have a NaPali Half day with Kauai Sea Tours schedule and we did have a Wailua River Secret Falls, Kayak and Hike scheduled with Ali'i Kayaks; however, I'm not sure that is such a good choice. I was thinking of a sunset or whale tour and maybe another river tour that wasn't so strenuous.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai Sea Tours
Kauai Sea Tours
1,255 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kilauea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai in December

aloha from Kauai...

winter is dramatically different here than summer...of course you knew that...our winter surf season in full form...

Boat tours only leave from Port Allen..mostly sunset/ whale watching...pretty epic yet not the Na Pali ...

personally i wouldnt book anything too far out in case a cold front does decend and it rains for a few days.. keep in mind all cancellation policiy time lines.This past December, a few kona storms came in from the south so Poipu took the brunt of the rain and wind. other winters, Poipu was dry and warm and a few sprinkles, Hanalei was flooding. Still, nothing is promised and you never know. Don't trust any weather comments until actually on isle and can see a forecast for only a few days out...we had plenty of sunny days yet also cool and wet ones too...(in Hanalei) have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,765 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai in December

I've been a few times early December and it was really nice. You just never know. One good thing about that time of the year is lower airfares and good hotel and condo deals.You do not need to book activities ahead of time. The above poster is correct. You can't go by past years. You can't go by averages. Just go and enjoy. Look at what is happening now. Flash floods on every island and its July.

central cove
Level Contributor
326 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai in December

Great time to visit, we do first week of Dec. Every year, and weather wise it is always nicer that it is back home. South shore is nice and sometimes north shore can be good.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai in December

Tons of good scoops....

You might contact koloa girl....Janet....her halau ( hula school ) puts on a fabulous christmas pagent in december that is indoors and very popular. Warms the Christmas season spirit and aloha and feels really great.

Like most of the visitors, we have no family to celebrate the holidays with, and Janet's Halau helps with the Christmas season feelings and does make our hearts feel good.

We also have a very special Christmas day dinner out, early seating, at one of our very favorites.....probably the beach house. Two to three weeks ahead for our reservations.

As to the weather, and making plans, that is superbly taken care of by the other posters.

10. Re: Kauai in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 07:15