We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Supermarket and what time do they close on a Sunday?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Which Supermarket and what time do they close on a Sunday?

Hi all,

Have seen questions on this subject but not really covered what I need so thought I would post myself.

We land on Sunday September 28th at noon(ish), as there are 5 people and cases so rather than take two taxis or a minivan taxi we have hired ourselves a minivan for 24 hours as it works out cheaper.

We are staying at the Waiohai Beach Club so have a kitchen and use of the grills and whilst we will eat out alot also want to take advantage of the minivan and stock up on some fresh fruit, veg and meat along with alcohol, soft drinks etc for the two weeks and any other bits and pieces.

We intend to use the Supermarket in Koloa to replenish fresh and any more of the aforementioned items as and when we need them but wanted to get the bulk of heavy items whilst we have a vehicle and set ourselves up for the fortnight.

My question is -

Which Supermarket would be best for us when driving from Lihue to Poipu?

And

What time do they close on Sundays?

We do not have a Costco or Safeway card (from memory these are the ones I have read that have the discount cards) as we are UK residents but possibly could sign up.

Thanks, appreciate your help.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 14:28
United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Supermarket and what time do they close on a Sunday?

Just to clarify, you'll be staying in Poipu for two weeks but only have a car for one day/night?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Supermarket and what time do they close on a Sunday?

Hello

We will only have a minivan for the first and last day for the airport runs (to cater for 5 people and cases), we will have a smaller vehicle for a couple of days mid-holiday to explore but I only want to know about the supermarket to use on the way to the resort from the airport.

Thanks

Edited: 27 August 2014, 14:44
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Supermarket and what time do they close on a Sunday?

Times Market in the shopping mall in Lihue or Big Save in Koloa. We usually do the majority of our shopping at Big Save. They're open all day Sunday closing around 9:00 p.m. (from memory).

Hopefully, you'll have a car for most of your trip. There is a lot to see all over the island outside of Poipu.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 16:35
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
144 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Supermarket and what time do they close on a Sunday?

I've been haunting this forum as I will be on Kauai pretty soon. Though I live in Seattle, I will give you an answer to your question. By all means, go to Costco!!! It will cost you $55 to join http://www.costco.com/join-costco.html and you do that when you enter the building. If you wait to have lunch there you will make up practically all of the joining fee just on that meal alone. Kauai as is all of Hawaii, crazy expensive for food. Stock up on meats, cheese, eggs, all kinds of snacks, sunblock, beach clothing, etc. etc. You will undoubtedly be tired after your trip, but don't rush Costco...the extra hour or hour and a half you are there, will be worth it for the savings and availability of all vacation needs for the week. **Most important information: they only take cash or American Express Cards ** Here is the Kauai Costco website: costco.com/…3D640

California
Level Contributor
36,134 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Supermarket and what time do they close on a Sunday?

This makes no sense at all!

1. Costco is out since you don't have a membership. Costco takes more than cash and American Express. They take a debit card. To me spending $55 for a membership to save maybe $60 is not worth it.

2. Safeway is way out the way

3. Big Save is your choice (its in Koloa)

4. You are renting a minivan for 1 day? You have to take it back to the airport you know. That means taxis. That means expensive. I realize you only want the answer to the supermarket question, but this is a big deal. You will be charged a huge premium for renting a car just one day or less than a week. Weekly rates are less. You need a car for your holiday. With a family of 5 you will need to replenish groceries often. How will get back into Koloa from your condo for more milk or food? There is only a small convenience store in the small shopping center and its expensive.

5. Rent a mini van for the entire week using Discount Hawaii Car Rental. Flexibility and ease of transportation is important on the island.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Supermarket and what time do they close on a Sunday?

I guess with that many people and two weeks, you could stock up at Costco. I find the packaging way too big for a vacation. We ended donating a bunch of stuff to the food bank after a Costco run on Kauai You'll get good deals on alcohol. Also, they did take our Visa Debit card for both inside and for gas.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,311 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Supermarket and what time do they close on a Sunday?

It is your vacation, but I think it is insanity to be on Kauai for two weeks with no car.

I think Sueoka is open every day until 8:30PM or 9:00PM. Big Save is open every day until 11:00PM

http://sueokastore.com/index.html

timessupermarkets.com/2013/…

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Supermarket and what time do they close on a Sunday?

Thanks for the replies. We will use the Big Save!

** Jebett - We drop the Minibus back to Hyatt Poipu so it is really convenient and is only $80 for the 24 hour period.

Our intentions are to use the minivan to stock up on breakfast and lunch supplies then drop it back, we will have spent a busy week in California and have a baby with us so want to hang around Poipu for a good few days and relax, then we hire a car (not Minivan as we do not need one so big when not carrying the cases) for a few days and intend to explore the island, during this time we will also restock items from Big save again.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Supermarket and what time do they close on a Sunday?

GLaxioLiam...

If you haven't read jebett's post in detail, do go back and pay attention to it.

All of her comments are spot on.

I wouldn't do Costco! We have a Costco membership and even for the week each summer that we become "5", we don't use it! We see folks coming out with cases of bottled water more than anything else - so what happened to the idea of filling one bottle up over and over?!?!?!?!

Seriously - couple of things to think about...

You are arriving on Sunday. On Monday one of the best - if not the most entertaining - Farmer's Markets is in Koloa at noon. We always go to that market even if it's out of our way and if you want to stock up on "fresh fruit, vegs, etc" that is the place to do it plus any of the other markets - and there is at least one every day in a different location if not multiples.

As far as "soft drinks" etc., Big Save in Koloa is our favorite (we stay at the Waiohai at least one week every year) but we enjoy browsing Sueoka's for unusual things such as Goeteberg (?) sausage!!! (They're the only place we've found where you don't have to buy the whole "log"!)

In all honesty, you will find that most of the folks staying at the Waiohai will be grilling every night - it's quite the social event (read: Testosterone City!). You'll also find numerous great places to take out entrees to which you can add a Farmer's Market salad every night and dine in Heaven on your lanai!

As for alcohol, Big Save or even some of the tiny markets have booze at decent prices - I mean, how much are you going to drink (well, I take that back) - but seriously, the "bargain bin" at The Wine Shop in Koloa is excellent and you can find surprising price bargains at some of the most unlikely places.

I agree that I wouldn't join Costco just for those two weeks. And half the fun of being on Kauai, for us at least, is finding those small local stores to explore and enjoy.

PM me if you need any specifics on places for "take out" food but Chicken in a Barrel (chicken and ribs) or the Anahola Neighborhood "Market" (on your "in between" weekend) or numerous Food Trucks etc. will keep you well fed.

Aloha...

BARBARA

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Supermarket and what time do they close on a Sunday?

GlaxioLiam...

Just read your post which posted while I was writing mine. You will be doing yourselves a disservice by not renting a car for the whole week. You will probably pay as much for three days as you would for the week.

However, for the days you are not "motorized", there is a small overpriced Market at Waiohai for just about everything you can imagine - totally overpriced but that is to be expected. You will also be within walking distance of Whaler's General Store at Poipu Shopping Center so you could use that for "emergency" items.

I would stock up on breakfast items and dinner items more than lunch items because once you're out and about, you'll probably end up eating lunch at funky little joints and then crashing for dinner. And with 5 - including a baby - dining on your lanai will be a treat rather than getting dressed after a day in the sun and sand!

Just a thought...

bARB

P.S. It's a bit of a walk from the Hyatt to the Waiohai so don't take little ones with you when you drop off the car!

Edited: 27 August 2014, 17:40