We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

have to choose between Kuhio Shores and Hideaway Cove Villas

Winnipeg Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
have to choose between Kuhio Shores and Hideaway Cove Villas

Going to Poipu for 10 days mid sept. Found a nice unit on 3rd floor in Kuhio Shores but no air conditioning, has ceiling fans. Hideway Coves has great reviews with air conditioning but isn't on the water. Hopefully someone can help us decide! Thanks

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
293 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: have to choose between Kuhio Shores and Hideaway Cove Villas

We just stayed at Kuhio Shores in a unit with A/C (the only one in the building, I believe) and we didn't turn it on once. The tradewinds were more than sufficient to keep things comfortable. And the location of Kuhio Shores cannot be beat. The could install slides on the lanais to get you directly into the ocean. Hey, now that's a great idea........

Dawson Creek
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: have to choose between Kuhio Shores and Hideaway Cove Villas

Slides off of the lanais would be a great idea!

Dawson Creek
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: have to choose between Kuhio Shores and Hideaway Cove Villas

Dawson Creek
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: have to choose between Kuhio Shores and Hideaway Cove Villas

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: have to choose between Kuhio Shores and Hideaway Cove Villas

Hi -- I think it all depends how important the view is to you. To us, a gorgeious view of the ocean off the lanai is part of what we go to Kauai for each year. There have been a few times that air conditioning would have been nice, but that was rare and usually in summer months. We have not stayed at Hideway Cove, but hae stayed at kuhio Shores a number of times and enjoyed it there very much. It is our place of choice on the south shore. I don't think you will regret going there.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: have to choose between Kuhio Shores and Hideaway Cove Villas

I have to agree with kimocat. We chose Kuhio Shores the first time because of its proximity to the ocean - there is nothing between you and the ocean except for a strip of grass and some lava rock.

You can, of course, rent for less money away from the shore, but the main reason we go there is for the sound and sights of the sea. And since you're in Winnipeg and aren't too close to the ocean, it could be a real treat for you. We live in Vancouver within a 10 minute drive to the Pacific and can never get enough.

Think of falling asleep every night to the crashing waves or gentle murmur of the ocean. We can't wait to go back for our 4th trip in March and we'll be at Kuhio Shores once again.

We've never been in Sept, but we found air conditioning was not needed. It can be hot when you first go in after having it locked up all day, but once the windows and doors are open, there is generally a nice breeze.

Sorry for going on so long. Happy planning!!!

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: have to choose between Kuhio Shores and Hideaway Cove Villas

We went in July. Kuhio shores third floor on out crop so closest to water saw min 6 to many more turtles every day right out front. Son slept on pull out couch and loved it as feel asleep to sound of ocean woke up to nice breezes and sun as well as view. Careful on beaches as everyday someone got hurt mainly the surfers. Think about it July hot and facing sun, I was worried about air but would definitely rent there again.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: have to choose between Kuhio Shores and Hideaway Cove Villas

Kuhio Shores is a very popular condo development and has great views as well -- there is a bike path very close to you and Prince Kuhio beach is just around the corner.

Air conditioning is something that most people who come from the mainland think they need -- but once they get here realize they really don't. Because of our tradewinds, which are almost continuous, we use ceiling fans and louvered windows with sliding lanai doors.

If you do this you will have natural air conditioning! Air conditioning cuts you off from the sounds around you such as the ocean, birds, etc. I think you will do just fine without it!

Alloway, New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: have to choose between Kuhio Shores and Hideaway Cove Villas

We just spent a glorious 8 day vacation at Kuhio Shores #415. The weather was beautiful. No air-conditioning and we didn't need it at all. Some nights we had to use an extra blanket! The views are amazing - whales, dolphins, turtles, and tons of surfers! I had trouble leaving the lanai. We can't wait to go back.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: have to choose between Kuhio Shores and Hideaway Cove Villas

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Just curious since so many folks are asking this question -- did you have any noise from the construction at Kukui'ula? Were you affected in any way by it?

Malama Pono,

Janet