We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Princeville

Bay Area
8 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Princeville

Hi Everyone-

It's been years since I've been to Kauai. The last several times my family rented a house in Kapaa. My husband and I are planning a trip in early September for our 2nd wedding anniversary. He's never been, so I am thrilled to show his=m the island I spend most summers as a kid. Anyhow... I'm looking for a place to stay. I'm thinking we would prefer a condo due to the additional amenities (beach chairs, coolers, BBQ and kitchen) that you don't get with a hotel, but still want a nice pool and hot tub. I've looked at the Pali Ke Kua (stayed there when I was 5, so I don't remember it much), but I'm concerned with being downstairs and the noise. It's my understanding that all upper units are 2 bedrooms. Our budget is $170-$220 and we an ocean view is a must. I’m also looking for a unit that was recently renovated. I know many condos are looking a tad worn these days.

Thanks for any advise!

Erin

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Makai Club Resort
Makai Club Resort
#1 of 1 B&Bs / Inns in Princeville
St. Regis Princeville Resort
St. Regis Princeville Resort
#1 of 4 hotels in Princeville
Hanalei Bay Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
#2 of 4 hotels in Princeville
1. Re: Where to stay in Princeville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 June 2009, 20:05
Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Princeville

I don't remember Pali Ke Kua having a hot tub but I don't think you need to be concerned about noise there? Some units are two levels with a loft. Yes my main complaint with that place is all the worn out ones but I think a lot of the older condo places suffer from that.

www.HawaiiGaaa.com (huge rental directory) is really useful to find upgraded units because you can browse rentals in "Picture Format". I did a "keyword search" for Pali Ke Kua and quickly found some nice ones which are managed by KauaiVacationRentals.com.

www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/462.html

www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/425.html

www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/69.html

You should also look at Hanalei Bay Resort and Puu Poa. Puu Poa is more expensive but there are lots of deals out there right now.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei Bay Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
1,892 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Puu Poa Beach
Puu Poa Beach
58 Reviews
Kauai, HI
3. Re: Where to stay in Princeville

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 December 2015, 00:58
denver, CO
Level Contributor
475 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Princeville

There is a pool + jacuzzi...

California
Level Contributor
39,763 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Princeville

Here is a 2 bedroom on the first floor at PKK. I have been in it and it's very nice. The owner told us on TA that the unit above is not rented out so no noise.

At HBR you can find something for around $220 but it might have the premier views.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Princeville

I think what jebett is saying that the lower priced condo's do not have the great views. I personally like the 9000 building because of the views. The only downside in HBR is there is no seperation between units. We had honeymooners on both sides of us who were out corking there wine or whatever and not really dressed and perhaps they just made us feel old.

I have never stayed in Pali Ke Kua, but I would stay there in a heartbeat during the whale season. We did look at an open house and i really liked the condo I saw. (fantastic views and very light and better bathrooms) of course depending on the condo.

Good luck

California
Level Contributor
39,763 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Princeville

Thanks Sally for catching that! Yes, the $210/nt condos don't have the premier views, usually.

The 9000 building has glorious views and are also the most expensive. The only time I have ever been bothered by "neighbors" is when a timeshare unit to the left of me had a few little ones who decided that their wake up time was 5AM and they wanted to feed the birds and scream in glee. That could happen anywhere.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
607 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Princeville

Dear EA510 -

As others have suggested, take a close look at the rental condos at Hanalei Bay Resort and Puu Poa that straddle each side of the St. Regis Princeville Hotel property. HBR has lovely common grounds with Bali Hai/Bay views, beautiful landscaping, very large and nice swimming pool, jacuzzi, waterfall.

Puu Poa sits right at the ocean cliff edge, has unique poured concrete construction that avoids the upstairs noise problem at frame constructed lower level Pali Ke Kua units, large 2,000 square foot floor plans. A few of the lower priced Puu Poa units without Bali Hai views will be close to your budget.

Numerous HBR and PP units are displayed at www.summitpacific.com and www.vrbo.com

Have a wonderful return visit to Kauai, no better place to celebrate your anniversary!

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei Bay Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
1,892 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Puu Poa Beach
Puu Poa Beach
58 Reviews
Kauai, HI
The St. Regis Bar
The St. Regis Bar
826 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
39,763 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Princeville

Here's the link to the Pali Ke Kua 2 bedroom I have been in and is very nice.

www.summitpacificinc.com/pali-ke-kua-130.html

Not all condos will have beach chairs, coolers etc in them. You need to ask the owners. Remember prices quoted are not always what you will have to pay. Depending on the time of year and how many days you plan on staying will make a difference to an owner as to what price you'll get. September is still a wonderful time on the North Shore.

10. Re: Where to stay in Princeville

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2009, 07:21