We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling Princeville,Kauai in November

Which Princeville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mass
4 posts
Save Topic
snorkeling Princeville,Kauai in November

My wife and I will be going to Princeville in november and I was curious as what the snorkeling conditions (surf,water temperature) would be during that time of year. I would perfer to go in March but have read many reviews that the surf is too high that time of year.

California
Level Contributor
36,134 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling Princeville,Kauai in November

November is usually rough too, but you might have a good day if you're lucky. The rough conditions start in October but again I have seen good days from Oct-Dec.

mass
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling Princeville,Kauai in November

Thanks Jebett my wife and I are New Englanders and would like to get away when the weather is colder here that is why we were looking into March or November.We are not locked into Princeville although I prefer it.Perhaps Kaanapali,Maui would be a better snorkeling option for March or November

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling Princeville,Kauai in November

You can almost always snorkel at Anini Beach, which is just before you get to Princeville. The beach is reef protected and usually quite calm, especially in the mornings. Just stay from breaks in the reef. There is not always a lot to look at, but we have seen eels, turtles and rays there. I don't mind the water temperature that time of year, and it seems a bit warmer at Anini, with it's shallows. My husband think it's too cold, but he's a weenie about that.

Clarendon Hills...
Level Contributor
173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling Princeville,Kauai in November

The northwest shores of Maui will have the same issues as the North shore in Kuaui. South portions of both islands would present more consistenly good weather. Given the choice based strictly on that, Maui would win hands down; but it is an entirely different feel, socially speaking.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,517 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling Princeville,Kauai in November

Anini is really hit or miss for what you see. I've seen some neat things there but had some real busts, too. If you do go please don't go out to the reef. It's a LONG swim back, and I'd be afraid of currents that would take you to and out the channel. Otherwise, Anini is pretty safe.

California
Level Contributor
36,134 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling Princeville,Kauai in November

I Love Anini but the fish aren't the greatest out there. This last Dec a visitor did drown and there was recently another incident of people going out too far. Anini doesn't have lifeguards. It is not a big deal to drive to a snorkeling beach for the day if you are set on Princeville. I do it all the time.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
187 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling Princeville,Kauai in November

Stayed in Princeville in Dec 2007, and the surf was way too severe to snorkel in the area. We tried Anini beach, but the snorkelling wasn't impressive, and the current was very strong. Tried Poipu, which was decent snorkelling, but over and hour drive. My favorite spots are on Maui. Makena, near the Prince hotel, and Kapalua Bay. Both are easily snorkeled in Nov., in case you change your mind on islands.

8. Re: snorkeling Princeville,Kauai in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 07:17