We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makai or Prince golf?

Which Princeville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Makai or Prince golf?

I will be in Kauai in mid-May and would like to play a round of golf at either Makai or Prince. We are staying at the St. Regis resort, so either course appear to be very close. Based on recent negative reviews of the Prince course, I'm hesitant to book a round there despite that fact it historically has been known as the best course on the North Shore.

I am not a great golfer and shoot 100-110, so I am going more for the experience, views than for challenge, etc.

Please let me know if you have a recommendation of one course over the other.

California
Level Contributor
35,586 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makai or Prince golf?

The Prince course is very tough. Makai is beautiful, just redone and you should have a great game. Makai course is VERY close to the hotel anyway.

Have a wonderful time and report back please.

PS

There's a trip advisor get together in Hanalei on May 16th if you are around, (4PM) and there's a thread on the information. Hope to see you there.

Edited: 25 April 2010, 18:25
Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
810 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makai or Prince golf?

IMHO the setting and views are hard to beat at the Prince course. I am also a recreational golfer unlike my DH. Another thought is trying the scrample at the Prince. It is $60.00 and offered a few days a week. It is a lot of fun. The first 9 holes are with whomever signs up (no one takes it very seriously) and we did the 2nd 9 on our own.

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Makai or Prince golf?

it is beautiful, and has great views, but for what they charge, it's it pretty bad condition....i wouldn't even say it's in good condition...unacceptable considering the fees, imo.

also, if you shoot 100-110, you'd better pack a suitcase full of golf balls or you'll run out after 9 holes....i shoot in the mid 80s and i struggle to break 100 on this course.

to me, the muni in wailua can't be beat...several holes along the ocean, almost all lined with coconut palms....i think i paid like $23 w/ a cart for an afternoon round.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
712 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Makai or Prince golf?

I'm not a golfer, but many have stayed with us. Here's what I'd do:

Play a round at the Makai and rent a golf cart at the Prince just to see the layout. It's amazing. Even a non-golfer should go to appreciate the beauty.

Hank

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Makai or Prince golf?

I agree with Oregonian -- a suitcase full of balls would be required. I really think you would enjoy the Makai course much more, as far as the golf experience. I'm about a 19 handicapper and the only thing that saved my round at the Prince was playing with Dickie Chang, (island personality)who was a stitch to play with. And I lost at least a dozen balls.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Makai or Prince golf?

The Prince layout is unbeatable. Play the tips and tear up the scorecard up before you start and just enjoy yourself. I have not played it recently, but when I did, it was immaculate (as was the Makai course).

However, I have also played at Kauai Lagoons where I had to go in after nine and ask for my money back because the course had not been taken care of in what had to have been at least three weeks.

Whichever course you choose, consider a second round if you're up for it - they usually just charge you the cart fee.

7. Re: Makai or Prince golf?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 05:18