We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Eats !

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Must Eats !

My family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teenagers will be on Kauai in 13 days!!!!!

So what are the must local eats while we are there, excluding super fancy restaurants.

Mahalo

Beth

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Eats !

Pretty common question. If you don't get many replies, you can use the search function to find dozens of threads on favorite restaurants and "cheap eats" sorts of places.

Check the FAQ box as well.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,032 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Eats !

In Lihue:

Dani's - in Lihu'e on 4201 Rice St Rice St. - wonderful, basic, local breakfasts - nothing fancy, but wonderful saimin and pancakes, omlettes, etc.

Hamura Saimin - on Kress St., Lihu'e - a Kaua'i institution since 1951...incredibly inexpensive home made saimin (kind of a noodle soup) plus teriyaki sticks and if they have it - lilikoi chiffon pie.

Mark’s Place - 1610 Haleukana, Unit A, Puhi, Lihue – great plate lunches and local food.

Tip Top Cafe - Lihu'e - 3173 Akahi St, Lihue, wonderful, big, old fashioned breakfast spot - busy, busy in the mornings

Market Street Diner - 3501 Rice Street, Lihue, Kauai, great breakfast place.

In Koloa:

Koloa Fish Market - Old Koloa town - take out only, but different plate lunches every day plus wonderful bentos (lunch boxes) - the poke bento is my favorite and at $5.00....a great deal.

Sueoka Store Snack Shop - Old Koloa town - take out only - Very inexpensive, lots of local specialties in addition to regular burgers, fries, etc.

Kukui'ula Store - 2827 Poipu Rd Koloa, across from the fire station on Po'ipu Rd. - freshly made breakfast and lunch bentos

Savage Shrimp Truck Lawai and Hoonani, Koloa, HI

Puka Dog in Poipu - fun hot dogs.

Bubba's Burgers in the new shopping center in Poipu.

There are also new places opening in the new shopping center at a steady pace.

www.kukuiulavillage.com/merchant-directory

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,032 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Eats !

Okay, my bad. I missed this was in the Princeville forum. The Lihue suggestions are good, forget Poipu unless you head that way for the day.

In Ka'apa, TC's is good in the Coconut Marketplace, Waipouli Deli has great local food, Hukilau Lani is good, upper end with entertainment.

In Hanalei I like Pat's Taqueria (oddly enough), Neide's Salsa & Samba (another odd one, but good), Pink's Creamery (just ice cream, but the best damn 'just ice cream'), Bubba Burgers has an outlet here too, CJ's Steakhouse, pretty old school, but still does a good job.

California
Level Contributor
9,952 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must Eats !

scottca075--Why is it odd that you like Pat's Taqueria?? It's the main reason I'm going back to Hanalei next month (not really), but I do plan on getting lunch there more than once. It's down by the pier--the hours are something like 11-3

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
329 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must Eats !

We will be in Kauai in 3 weeks and I have also been wondering the same thing!

In addition to what I have found on here, I have also been searching "yelp.com" for reviews. I love that website and have used it just to find stuff here in San Antonio (we moved here in July).

Just put in a city on Kauai and it will give you reviews..... lots of times you will get local reviews from people who might not even be on trip advisor. They will also post pictures and sometimes even menus!

I have a long list! Since we only have 5 days I have to pick and choose carefully...

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,985 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must Eats !

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Do be aware when using some type of online "guide" for Kaua'i restaurants though - I've gone onto some of them and found tons of obsolete and long closed restaurants - so you might want to double check back here on the forums if you have a specific one that you are wondering about.

Restaurants come and go here sometimes very rapidly - so factor that in when you are looking at the websites. Double check the dates of the postings and make sure they are very, very recent.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Apple Valley, CA
Level Contributor
655 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must Eats !

While on our recent trip to Princeville, we ate in Hanalei at Dolphin's restaurant located right on the Hanalei river (be sure to have drinks outside BEFORE you go inside to eat!), also at Postcards and Kalypso's. We enjoyed each place (you can read my reviews here on TA for each one) but have to say that Postcards is our favorite! They open at 6:00 and don't take reservations, so if you don't want to have to wait for a table, get there 15 minutes before they open. You won't be the only ones waiting but at least you will get seated in a few minutes!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
468 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must Eats !

scottca, why do you say "oddly enough" in the taqueria remark?

We haven't been to Kauai in two years. Anything new to hit in Hanalei?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must Eats !

It all... sounds so good, I'm starving this morning! The people on TA have never steered me wrong. I'll let everyone know where we ate when we get back.

My kids have suddenly decided that they want a Lei greeting at the airport. Is this goofy and and do you see anyone doing this anymore?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
468 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must Eats !

When we took our kids a couple summers ago, my daughter, who was 9 at the time, was CRUSHED that my husband didn't order us a lei greeting. She was so disillusioned! But he bought a couple leis for us, which promptly withered in the heat. But heck, spring for it, I say. They're only little once.