We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking to waterfall

Salt Lake City, Utah
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
hiking to waterfall

My husband and I will have a free day away from kids and would love to do a hike (1-4 miles in) to a waterfall with large pool to swim in. Any advice?

NE PA
Level Contributor
953 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking to waterfall

The first part of the Kalalau trail to Hanakapi'ai beach(2 miles) and then up to Hanakapi'ai Falls(2 miles) is a marvelous but moderately strenuous hike. It's 8 miles round trip and will take 6-8 hours depending on your (and the trail's) condition. Check out hawaiiweb.com/kauai/…hanakapiai_falls.html

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,775 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking to waterfall

And the Kalalau is a real buggah when it's been raining. Mud, mud, mud. Kaua'i red mud.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking to waterfall

You could rent a kayak and paddle up the Wailua River, then take a hike to the waterfall there. It's a fun hike, very moderate and a pool under the waterfall at the end. We really enjoyed this for a half day adventure - but go early and you could be the only ones at the falls.

Salt Lake City, Utah
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking to waterfall

Thanks so much to those of you who have replied- how nice of you to take the time out to do so. We will be on the South Shore if that matters

Salt Lake City, Utah
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking to waterfall

Thanks so much to those of you who have replied- how nice of you to take the time out to do so. We will be on the South Shore if that matters

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiking to waterfall

KAYAKING, HIKING, WATERFALL..

Since you are on the south shore, and if regs permit, a kayak up the Wailua river and walk to the falls would be perfect.

Smith' barges keep to the south side, so you might want to keep to the north side ( on your right paddling up stream ). Remain on that same side, bank now on your left coming back down.

there is fork in the river,take it to the right, and you will come to a shallow area.

Tie the kayak up to a tree, and you can walk/hike up to the falls. Fairly easy.

Falls are super,and you can wade in and enjoy. Might even pack a small lunch and just kick back.

Heard rumors that Wialua river kayaking was now limited to tour paddles only. Hope that is not correct...anyone have any scoops on that ? We have done this solo a few times, but our last paddle on the wailua was a few years back.

Mahalo

Denny

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hiking to waterfall

My son and daughter in law did a kayak tour to secret falls last month. They said they ran into solo kayakers that were invited to hike with them. Sounds like it would be easy to go on your own and follow the tours. They both chickened out (pardon the pun) on swimming in the pool under the waterfall, though. They said it was way too cold. Their guide even took them to an area he called the "green room". The pictures were awesome with all the vines covering everything.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,775 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hiking to waterfall

Isn't there a way to get to the bottom of Opaeka'a Falls, or am I misremembering something else I read?

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: hiking to waterfall

You can get to the bottom of Opaeka'a falls. It's a bit of a slippery climb, but definitely possible.

I would also vote for the fern grotto / secret falls hike. It's really what you think of when you're looking for a big falls and big pool to swim in. I just came across some video that I took when my wife and I went there about....uhhh...nine years ago before we got married. It can be a slippery, muddy hike, but it's well worth it.

Can't hardly believe how young we looked then. Is that what kids do to you? LOL!!

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hiking to waterfall

Well, I was thinking that maybe you might think that this could be fun. It's not a hike per se to a waterfalls but it's a HUGE bang for your buck and fun, fun, fun !!! www.outfitterskauai.com has a tour (Kipu Falls Zipline) that has an easy 2 mi. kayak up the scenic Huleia River, a wagon ride across private land usually not seen by tourists, a short hike to a small waterfall for lunch, a zipline over the river to Kipu Falls for swimming and rope swinging. This is a pretty large falls and it would give you a chance to do a lot of different things all wrapped up in one tour.

Sandie