We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downhill bicycle tour

Which Princeville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
113 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Downhill bicycle tour

I am interested in taking the Waimea Canyon bicycle tour. The entire tour is only 3 hours. Does anyone know how much time is actually spent in the canyon? I am worried that a large portion of that time will be spent driving to and from the canyon. I am only there for six days, so if I do the bike tour, it will be the only time I make it to the canyon. Will I see enough?

Thanks

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,848 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downhill bicycle tour

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I've never done the tour, but my husband runs up to Koke'e for training and I follow in the truck for mobile aid!

I sometimes see the bikers zooming down from the top, and notice that they seem to stop a couple of times on their way down - the places I've seen them stop aren't the normal "view pullover" spots however.

I do think that most of the beauty of the downhill tours are the amazing views from the Western side of the approach - including amazing views of Ni'ihau. Not so much Waimea Canyon.

Bear in mind I have not done this tour, so these are only my observations from watching them ride down the mountain.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downhill bicycle tour

I did the bike tour several years ago; it was a lot of fun, and, of course, you see lots of beautiful scenery. As Janet said, there are several places where we stopped and had a chance to take pictures. However, if this is your first time to the canyon, I'd recommend going early in the morning on your own. The bike tour doesn't take you to the Pu'u o Kila Lookout which has one of the best views of the Kalalau Valley.

Arroyo Grande, CA
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Downhill bicycle tour

Did this tour about 4 years ago and really loved it. Not quite comparable to the one in Maui, but then again it's till quite fun, and Outfitters Kauai is a top notch operation. Some of the stops are random, but they seem more for keeping the group together and to allow any cars to pass.

Arroyo Grande, CA
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Downhill bicycle tour

Did this tour about 4 years ago and really loved it. Not quite comparable to the one in Maui, but then again it's till quite fun, and Outfitters Kauai is a top notch operation. Some of the stops are random, but they seem more for keeping the group together and to allow any cars to pass.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Downhill bicycle tour

The road is not "in the canyon," but along the west rim with several viewpoints and lookouts over the canyon (as well as over the ocean and Niihau island to the SW). Agreed that you should drive on your own further beyond the canyon into Kokee state park and the spectacular views over the Kalalau valley (and the Na Pali coast if you hike).

6. Re: Downhill bicycle tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2013, 10:20