We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai

chicago,il
12 posts
Save Topic
Kauai

Any guesses as to if the Kauai beaches will be open/clean/safe by April?

Kauai & Mainland
Level Contributor
954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai

Which beaches did you hear were closed?

I might have missed something but I think all the beaches (at least the major ones) are fine.

The local expert can reveal more on this.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai

DOH has a brown water advisory for the entire island. Basically if you see brown water, don't go in. Been in place since Feb 21.

See:

…hawaii.gov/CleanWaterBranch/…

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai

I don't think any beaches are officially closed because of bacteria except maybe Lydgate. You wouldn't want to swim in there anyway!

There have been advisories to stay out of certain areas with a lot of runoff, near river mouths, and on the west side last week when treated wastewater was released in to the ocean near Waimea.

BUT!! There have been shark sightings the past couple of days at Kealia and Kekaha beaches and they were closed with signs posted.

If the weather gets back into a "passing shower" mode, I'd say within a week the beaches should be in good shape. Remember, an island is bathed in currents, so stuff dissipates fairly quickly. It's the junk on the beach that takes a while to get rid of.

I feel a bunch of beach bonfires coming on!!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai

I talked to the Kauai Visitor's Bureau today and was told that while some beaches do have signs posted to stay out of the water, there are plenty more that are safe now. It's wise to be cautious at beaches where a river or stream empties out to the ocean.

I would think that by April, much improvement will be seen. I haven't heard of any beach closures in the Hanalei area. There were some shark sightings off Kekaha - on the West side. I am not on island - I've just been talking to people who are...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai

but to answer the original question.

If the rains back off, most areas will be ok by April. The last to come clean will be Nawiliwili/Kalapaki down by the Main Marriot. Pine Trees by the pier in Hanalei often has "issues" in wet weather as well. Remoter areas without so many houses will clean up pretty fast assuming it stops raining so heavily. Poipu is probably the least affected by run off in normal weather.

The weather guys are driving us all crazy. Last week we were getting advice that it would never stop raining again. By last night it was chance of showers this week. Today was beautiful on the east side with some showers this PM. Right now as the sun sets, I'd say partly cloudy. Basically, we have a bunch of unsettled weather about and they are guessing on anything more than a couple of days out.

chicago,il
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll check back in later to hear the latest progress. Good luck to all the folks who have been truely affected by everything.