We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No A/C in July

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
No A/C in July

Can anyone tell me how it is staying in any of the various places in Princeville that have no A/C in their units? Can't imagine, I'm from Houston where heat and humidity is high.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,135 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No A/C in July

I live on the north shore, and my house has no a/c, just ceiling fans. It's rare for it to be miserable inside. July will be hot, but probably pretty nice with trade winds keeping it comfortable. That said, if you're used running the a/c COLD, you probably won't be happy without.

Volente, Texas
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No A/C in July

We have stayed at Puu Poa condos in Princeville in May and June without A/C. And we are staying there again In mid- June this year. I don't think that anywhere in Kauai is like Houston's heat & humidity! Don't know where you are staying but Princeville is generally cooler than other areas of Kauai. They have more rain showers even in the summer months and usually a nice breeze. I couldn't call it hot there in comparison with Texas! The Pacific water is cool unlike the Gulf which doesn't create the humidity that we have in Texas!!

That's one of the many reasons we call Kauai paradise! You will love it!

Mentioned in this post
Puu Poa Beach
Puu Poa Beach
58 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
39,765 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No A/C in July

The North Shore in July can be very humid. Even today, I am glad I have air condtioning....

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No A/C in July

Thanks so much fo your input. The humidity is my concern.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No A/C in July

We've been several times to Kauai and we love it, we've always stayed at the large resorts but never in a time share type place with no A/C in the North Shore, so I was concerned since we always travel in July. I appreciate your comments.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: No A/C in July

Personally, I have to have a/c in Kauai in the summer. We keep our home in Dallas very warm compared to most, but I have no desire to spend my vacation hot. I will open windows and use fans, but if it is still too hot, I will turn on the a/c.

FYI, if you do rent a unit with no a/c, pick one that will allow air flow. One year (august), we rented a unit with a/c in the bedrooms at Villas of Kamali'i. While it was warm in the afternoons, the bedrooms were fine. however, I talked to my neighbor who had no a/c, and he said it was miserable in his unit.

Happy planning

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,157 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: No A/C in July

I will not rent anywhere in Hawaii at any time of year if A/C is not an option. I've used the A/C many nights on Maui -- in winter. Our condo has great SE/NW breezes, when there ARE breezes. The Trades do stop from time to time. When they do, you feel the humidity.

Locals acclimate. Visitors on island for longer periods acclimate. The reason fewer places offer A/C is due to the expensive electrical rates -- not that 'you don't need air conditioning".

Edited: 11 May 2012, 18:14
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
East Coast
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No A/C in July

Half the time in July you can get away without it. No where near as humid as Houston.

If you're only going to be there at night to sleep you may get lucky.

It actually cools down at nigh(70's)t. I remember Houston was the same temp at Noon as midnight..

But it is vacation and I hate sleeping on a moist pillow or trouble using an electric razor after a shower..

I would vote for A/C.

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
356 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No A/C in July

We live in hot and humid Georgia and we stayed a few years ago at Bali Hai Villas(timeshare) in late May and I was so worried about no a/c. As soon as we checked in, I asked for fans and housekeeping brought us two brand new fans(still in the box). We never even needed to open the box. The ceiling fans and tradewinds worked just fine! Both of us were very surprised with how comfortable we were. Aloha...have a great time!

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: No A/C in July

We went to Kauai at the end of June/beginning of July last year and it was the most humid out of all of the 8 times we have been to Hawaii. We did not have a/c in our condo and I was sorry. The living room was ok at night but the bedroom was definately warm. It was hot in the bathroom when taking a shower and getting ready. I would highly recommend a unit with a/c in July. I personally would not go again in the summer without having a/c.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States