We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Princeville

Which Princeville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Princeville

We are staying at the Princeville St Regis resort with an 18 month. We have two full days (three nights) at the resort and would prefer not to hire a car.

We plan on spending a day at the resort but would like to see as much of the island as we can on the second day. Does anyone have any advice on a day trip or otherwise that we can do to get a feel for the island that is toddler friendly? Or is there a particular beach, sight that we should visit?

Last question, is there anywhere within walking distance that we can go for meals that is recommended?

Edited: 15 May 2012, 02:35
California
Level Contributor
36,130 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Princeville

You are paying the big bucks so give the concierge at the hotel a call. There's a beach right there and friends of mine just got back from spending an entire day there. The snorkeling was excellent and their grand kids had a great time. I know some people on this board call that beach "crappy", but not me.

There are no places within walking distance for breakfast or lunch but you can ask the town car SR provides to take you to their golf course restaurant or take the shuttle to The Westin. The food at your hotel is very expensive. We had drinks and appetizers and it was over $100. You have to go into Princeville Center or Hanalei for dining options and for that you need wheels!

Bottom line is rent a car!!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,966 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Princeville

You really need a car in Kauai - especially staying up north where things are more spread out.

When are you coming as the beaches change with the season . . .

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Princeville

Jebett - I wouldn't mind organising the tours or having an idea of the tours before we leave...

What is the towncar and shuttle service? I can't see anything about it on their website?

$100 IS expensive! Thankfully breakfast is included....so we only have to worry about a small lunch and dinner.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,966 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Princeville

You really don't need a tour to see Kauai . . . and especially traveling with a child, I would want that flexibility to stop where/when needed. Kauai is easy to explore on your own - really.

Is Kauai the only island you are visiting - or are you staying somewhere else as well? :)

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Princeville

I wouldn't want to be on an all-day tour of the island with a toddler - what about nap time? My little ones sleep well in the car but with my luck a tour bus would stop just when they fell asleep... if you rent a car you will be able to keep driving during nap time so the babe gets a nap while you see the island on your own.

Pick up a copy of Kauai Underground by Lenore Horowitz- it's specifically geared towards families.

I called Pu'u Poa "rather" crappy - it's just not the best beach IN MY OPINION, particularly when you're paying SO much to stay at the St. Regis.

Another one of MY OPINIONS: I think the Marriott in Lihue or the Hyatt in Poipu are much better suited to families with little kids - there are more dining options on-site or within walking distance and the keiki lagoon at Poipu beach is, IN MY OPINION, the best for little kids.

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Princeville

We're doing a whirlwind trip of Hawaii - staying on most of the main islands for three to four nights (and wakiki for five nights). We're hoping not to rent because my toddler hates cars but doesnt mind busses (if you hold him).....but looks like rental is the only way to go unless we stay at the resots. What is car hire like/prices etc? Is there an option to have the car dropped off to us in morning and picked up at night?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Princeville

Your best bet is going to be renting a car at the airport when you arrive, and keeping it until you drop it off and leave. Price will probably be mostly a factor of time of year - high or low season. Do make your car reservation as soon as you have your dates nailed down, as there can be a shortage.

California
Level Contributor
36,130 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Princeville

The St Regis has services to take you to and from the airport but it is very expensive. The bus system on Kauai is not good at all and will not transport you close to this hotel. You do have one option and that is to stay at a different hotel. The Marriott in Lihue has shuttle service to the hotel from the airport. You most likely need to call the hotel about the towncar services. For a brief stay this hotel is very nice. You could take Robert's Tour and see the entire island by tour bus.

As far as the shuttle, it leaves every 30 minutes and goes between the Westin and SR. It is probably on the website for Westin since its really their bus but SR people can use it because they are sister hotels. Westin has one small restaurant but its pretty good for lunch and dinner. It's called Nanea.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Princeville

You really need a car to reach the St. Regis. We were there for 3 nights. Did a little site seeing on the way there, but kept at the resort for two days. One at the pool and one at the beach. I liked the beach, they provide lounges, umbrella's and bring cold water and snacks to you (pineapple on spears, grapes, etc)

Except for breakfast, the restaurants were very expensive. Driving into Hanelei gives you more choices.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,522 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Princeville

CA has a good point about the car - how did you plan on getting from/to the airport? A taxi will run you at least $90.00 one-way. You could rent a car for less and have the freedom to go where you want. Bus system on Kaua‘i is pretty bad and VERY inconvenient for a tourist. You're on Kaua‘i for such a short time, you should try to make the most of it.

Try DHCR for a car reservation. We all highly recommend them as their rates are usually the best, no money or cc up-front, chance/cancel anytime. Make sure they are aware you are from Australia - I believe you need the additional insurance, right? It will make the car more costly. Your 18 mo will require(by law) a car seat also.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 16 May 2012, 00:45