We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nihilani for kids?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nihilani for kids?

We are planning a two week stay in sep/oct and were looking at these but a lot of the reviews say they are not nice to kids. My children will be 5 and 3 and are not always quiet, especially with the time change. Has anyone experienced problems here with the property manager?

California
Level Contributor
36,445 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nihilani for kids?

There are many full time residents that live in this development. Maybe that's why they don't appreciate vacationers. Nihilani are nice. They aren't the prettiest (they look like apts to me) but they are newer and some have nice interiors in a good amount of space. There are tons for sale/short sale/foreclosures because the developer way over priced them about 4 years ago. If you are looking for nicer newer units with air conditioning and inexpensive this could be it but don't worry about the property manager unless your kids are horrid, then maybe he DOES needs to speak to you...... Only kidding......

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nihilani for kids?

As far as the units go themselves it's a great spot for families. If you like these types of properties but are worried about Nihilani take a look at Emmalani Court or Plantation at Princeville. Similar properties but I'm not sure about the "politics" of these places and how they compare to what you've heard about Nihilani.

California
Level Contributor
36,445 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nihilani for kids?

Emmalani is an excellent suggestion. They also have full time residence but not as many. Their prices are very reasonable for the amount of space you get.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nihilani for kids?

We stayed there in 2008 (i know that was a while back) with 2 small kids, and we had no problems. The manager at the time was actually very nice.

Bend
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nihilani for kids?

We stayed at Nihilani last year - we have 3 kids (now 14, 12, 11) and we are in Kauai right now. We chose to stay at a neighboring complex, the Plantation at Princeville, so I can give you a "real time" comparison. Nihilani, at least the 3 bed/3 bath we stayed in, was very nice and larger than the 3 bed/3 bath at Plantation. However, we did have an incident with the old guy at Nihilani that gets upset if your kids even get close to raising their voice. Our condo at Plantation (#1221) has a very large lanai that we are using all the time and we have not had a problem with the pool. We obey the rules and make sure our kids aren't screaming, but everyone here is very nice.

In comparison, the large lanai is very nice and the Plantation doesn't feel as "squished" as Nihilani. But the Nihilani units were larger and nicer. Right now if I had to choose, I would probably stay at Plantation again - because we did have an incident with the old guy at Nihilani. And another resident at Nihilani that witnessed it, came over and apologized for that old guy.

Hope that helps. Both are very nice. And KAUAI IS WONDERFUL.......

6. Re: Nihilani for kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 August 2012, 01:35
California
Level Contributor
36,445 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nihilani for kids?

I concure with the above post. Nihilani are newer, larger but very similar in style and location as Plantation. Just don't rent one with the lanai on the road.

So is the crabby man a resident or the manager? Does he understand he lives in a vacation destination neighborhood???

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nihilani for kids?

Thanks everyone, we went with the Mauna Kai, they had one big enough for all of us and we have stayed there before with no problems. I like running down to the beach in the morning and having a nice walk. The beach is us, shell collectors and the beach residents at 7 AM:)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nihilani for kids?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I live at a condo complex that does not allow vacation rentals (leases are 6 months minimum if you rent) - but sometimes mainland owners try to get around it.

I can tell you as a full-time resident that it is generally a very uncomfortable mix for everyone. Residents have different priorities from visitors and those differences make for uneasy situations indeed!

If Nihilani has that mix, I can imagine that would be difficult - but of course if you buy there, you understand that there are visitor units - so I don't have too much sympathy in that regard.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,038 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nihilani for kids?

We are currently long term renting in a condo complex that has residents and visitors. For the most part we are fine with visitors with kids but once I did go over to a unit where a visitor's child was screaming as if in pain to see if things were OK after she had been screaming for about 30 minutes. Father answered the door said to child, who continued to scream, "See what you did, the neighbors are here." Apparently that was sufficient attention because she stopped. We have children and grandchildren so know what kids sound like.

Am more annoyed with folks who feel the need to yell into their cell phones at all hours.