We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

have you been to Tahiti Nui luau in Hanalei

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Topic
have you been to Tahiti Nui luau in Hanalei

Just wondering if it's less commercial than the others and better food?

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: have you been to Tahiti Nui luau in Hanalei

I haven't been to it, but it is tiny, inside a side room of the restaurant, and I would consider the luau at Mediterranean Gourmet if you are looking for good food and not commercial on the North Shore. Tuesday nights. Its great.

LA
Level Contributor
10,066 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: have you been to Tahiti Nui luau in Hanalei

I don't think of anything in Hanalei as being commercial.....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: have you been to Tahiti Nui luau in Hanalei

The luau at Med Gourmet -- we were there this past tuesday-- takes place in an award-winning restaurant overlooking a windswept beach and frothy ocean. The food is good! And the show is intimate and personal. The dancers walked thru the tables and also danced with some of the toddler in the audience. You are close enough to feel the heat from the firedance torches. There were several families there and the kids enjoyed the performance and listened to the talk-story.

Tahiti Nui is interesting for the evening music scene but it is small and the food is ...not the attraction. They talked us into handmade Basil (!) flavored sorbet, the memory still makes me shudder.

There is plenty of 'commercial' in Hanalei but it is kinda funky and laid back. I loved Hanalei. Wish i were there today ... sigh

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: have you been to Tahiti Nui luau in Hanalei

I think the OP was curious about the LUAU. Did you do the luau Psage or just eat at the restaurant.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: have you been to Tahiti Nui luau in Hanalei

we went for the luau only, so i described the show and dancers in my reply:

"And the show is intimate and personal. The dancers walked thru the tables and also danced with some of the toddlers in the audience. You are close enough to feel the heat from the firedance torches. There were several families there and the kids enjoyed the performance and listened to the talk-story."

the luau was really nice and the food was a plus. went to this one because you and others recommended it, so thanks very much!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: have you been to Tahiti Nui luau in Hanalei

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"psage728" - you are talking about the lu'au at the Mediterranean Gourmet - not the Tahiti Nui lu'au - which is what the OP is asking about.

As of this point in time, I don't believe anyone has gone to the lu'au at Tahiti Nui - I can't recall anyone reporting here about it at least.

Malama Pono,

Janet

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: have you been to Tahiti Nui luau in Hanalei

sorry- just got back last night and still not really 'here' --at the Tahiti Nui we just had lunch, no luau. But the Med Gourmet luau was a wonderful experience.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: have you been to Tahiti Nui luau in Hanalei

here is a TA review from april 2012

tripadvisor.com.au/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

the poster thought the tahiti nui luau was pretty cool.

but seriously, after the basil sorbet, i just couldn't...

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,165 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: have you been to Tahiti Nui luau in Hanalei

>>>sorry- just got back last night and still not really 'here<<<

Yep, Kaua‘i leaves you kinda stunned, huh lol! Basil sorbet.....nah....

3Chihuahuas

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: have you been to Tahiti Nui luau in Hanalei

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Basil sorbet? Actually I've had some pretty strange flavors of sorbet that I didn't think would work - and they did! So who knows, might be tasty!

My own mind is on macarons, baguettes, and the like - I leave day after tomorrow for Paris - pinch me please!!

Malama Pono,

Janet