We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic restaurant in Princeville area for anniversary

Baltimore
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic restaurant in Princeville area for anniversary

My wife and I will be visiting Kauai for our 20th anniversary. I'm looking for a nice romantic restaurant not too far from our hotel in Princeville. Any current suggestions?

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic restaurant in Princeville area for anniversary

http://kauaigrill.com/ Kauai Grill at the St. Regis would be my first choice. Other excellent restaurants nearby are The Tavern, Bar Acuda, and Med. Gourmet.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
925 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic restaurant in Princeville area for anniversary

In my opinion for Romance its the Kauai Grill for sure, Make sure you make a reservation and Get a window seat at Sunset you wont be dissapointed at all

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,606 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic restaurant in Princeville area for anniversary

Went to the Kauai Grill last Oct. for my Birthday. Biggest disappointment, as we had reservations weeks in advance, as we were guests of the St. Regis, and high hopes for a fabulous meal. Hostess made us wait to be seated and the restaurant was not busy.

The regular chef must have been off that night. The food was average, our waiter below average. The timing of the food delivery was off, and he forgot to bring my salad, so my husband started on his meal while I waited for my salad.

The waiter even said sorry, he was having an off night, nothing was coming out right. He even said he'd comp our dessert, but since it was a Birthday, we kinda expected that anyway in the Kauai Grill. Our meal was very expensive, and just not up to par.

The next night we went down to Tahiti Nui and had the best dinner of our stay on the north shore.

California
Level Contributor
37,465 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic restaurant in Princeville area for anniversary

I understand when people have a bad experience and that is such a shame, but I have eaten at Kauai Grill 4 times and never had a bad meal or bad service. I am going back in 2 weeks to celebrate my cousins 60th birthday. It was a no brainer where we would go to celebrate this special event. They have a new manager so perhaps some of the complaints were warranted and it has improved. It is certainly romantic and it is certainly expensive. The outside Terrace is also lovely, though I think the choice of entrees isn't as appealing to me.

Princeville Tavern is good but for a special occasion I wouldn't go there. BarAcuda is my favorite and some people love Postcards (its very cute) but my second choice would be Mediterranean Gourmet for a special event.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,606 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic restaurant in Princeville area for anniversary

Jebett, I am not going to be one of those who complain everytime soneone wants to go to Kauai Grill, but I wish someone would have warned me at the time, that if you are going to spend $3-400 for a meal, including wine, all might not be what we were expecting.

When I returned home, I read the restaurant reviews on TA, and turns out we were not the only ones to have a poor dining experience that summer and fall season. It never entered my mind that dining there would not be perfect.

I am happy to hear they have a new manager, so it sounds things have changed at the Kauai Grill. I am glad to hear that.

California
Level Contributor
37,465 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic restaurant in Princeville area for anniversary

I get that and I know you have great taste in restaurants. You have given me good advice for SoCal. I have read the reviews too and they are all over the board. I pray our upcoming visit will be as good as our other visits. You pay a ton for this place and you deserve to have a good meal and service.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
925 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic restaurant in Princeville area for anniversary

We too had a Terrible Experience last Fall at the Kauai Grill, I wrote a review no need to go back into it, It is a beautiful place with a gorgeous view, even with the Service we had it was a romantic meal, that's why I still recommend you go to the Kauai Grill for Romance.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic restaurant in Princeville area for anniversary

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll log in with the results next month!

sacramento ca
Level Contributor
686 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic restaurant in Princeville area for anniversary

we just went for our anniversary to kauai grill and food and service were good but i thought it would be more romantic. we were there right at sunset but so bright most people had on sunglasses! couple of small children there whose parents didn't watch them as they wandered all over (we all knew names by end from mother saying " don't do that" but never anything else! and everyone kept coming at standing at our table to take pictures!

food was very good---guess i just expected more!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic restaurant in Princeville area for anniversary

just celebrated our anniversary on Kauai last week and were looking at the Kauai Grill. Decided to go with Postcards instead and are glad we did!