We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly condos near the beach

San Francisco
Level Contributor
880 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Family friendly condos near the beach

My family (me, husband, two kids, ages 7 and 4) are looking for a good vacation rental in the Princeville area for next summer. We'd like something clean, updated, quiet, kid friendly and kid safe, with a pool and ideally near the beach. We'd like to keep it around $300 a night. 2 bedrooms. Views would be a bonus but not a deal breaker. Don't want to be on a busy road and would like to be a short drive from restaurants and a grocery store. Maybe Pali Ke Kua? The Cliffs? What say the experts? I've been to Kauai but not to Princeville, so I need the expert TA advice. thanks!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
880 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly condos near the beach

Just did a little more reading and it looks like perhaps Hanalei Bay Resort would tick all our boxes. Thoughts?

California
Level Contributor
37,009 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family friendly condos near the beach

The best pool would be at Hanalei Bay Resort. The pool at The Cliff's is tiny and this condo/timeshare complex is not close to the beach. Pali Ke Kua has a lousy pool out in the middle of the parking lot. They do have a path to a beach below and a few buildings have beautiful views.

(I own at HBR so a bit biased but its what I know) and they have kid's programs like tennis clinics, ukelele lessons and lei making. There's a paved path to Puu Poa Beach which is shared with the St Regis Hotel. The restaurant and bar is supposed to reopen in the spring. Fitness Center and hospitality room with big screen for movie nights should reopen after remodeling in January.

At HBR you could also rent a one bedroom with loft to save money (check out 4302 or 6303), but this is within your budget and offers the most bang for your buck with the tennis courts, pool, beach below, views. HBR is not on a busy road. Actually none really are. Another big bonus of HBR over the others mentioned is they are air conditioned.

All three are within 5 mins of the Princeville Shopping Center where there's a grocery store, ice cream shop, toy store and restaurants. You are 10 minutes to Hanalei Bay (great place for swimming) and 20 mins to the top summer snorkeling spots.

In order I would say for your family and your wants:

1. HBR

2. Cliff's

3. PKK

Maybe throw in Westin but I'm not sure they are within your price point. I'm really not sure what they are charging now a days for their studios or 2 bedrooms. That timeshare property has a super nice pool. No direct beach access though.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
880 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family friendly condos near the beach

Jebett, thank you! Awesome tips. I will do some more exploring at HBR. Sounds great. Now to find reasonable airfare.

Ps, I have a good friend in Moraga, and I'm in Marin.

California
Level Contributor
37,009 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family friendly condos near the beach

Check Alaska out of Oakland and Hawaiian out of SFO. Alaska has a good deal when you get their Visa card. 25,000 miles plus a companion pass for just $99 when you purchase one flight. It makes the airfare for 2 almost 50% off. Remember that late June and July are high season. If you have some flexibilty consider late August when air goes down. Sept is even better.

We are so lucky where we live that we have many options for getting over to the islands.

PM me and tell me who you know in Moraga. Its a small town and I might know them or live near them.

Have a beautiful day. Its lovely over on this side of the bay.

5. Re: Family friendly condos near the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 05:18