We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanalei Bay Villas or Sealodge

San Diego...
Level Contributor
91 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Hanalei Bay Villas or Sealodge

I'd be interested in any feedback on the relative and comparative merits of the two; not too interested in paying over $200 a day, so I don't believe there is an issue with either. We'll be visiting from May 22-29, 2014.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,307 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanalei Bay Villas or Sealodge

The condos at Sealodge with the good ocean views would be my pick. I have no experience with the villas, which would have more distant ocean views.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanalei Bay Villas or Sealodge

We have actually stayed at both. Sealodge definitely has the best ocean views, although the lower numbered units at HBV do have a nice view of Hanalei Bay. Also, if it's an issue there are no grills at HBV, although admittedly the charcoal grill area at Sealodge is nothing great, but we did use it many nights and it was adequate. HBV does not have a pool, either, if that matters, but the Sealodge pool is VERY basic and we never used it.

On the positive side HBV units are much larger and you are right across the street from the path down to Hideaways Beach.

That time of year, both are in a great location as a base to explore the north shore beaches. Just make sure to read reviews on the individual units at each complex as they will vary greatly. At Sealodge the B and F buildings won't have as good of ocean views as the other buildings.

middletown,ohio
Level Contributor
638 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanalei Bay Villas or Sealodge

We loved staying at Sealodge which condo are yo looking at ?

California
Level Contributor
39,668 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanalei Bay Villas or Sealodge

If I had to choose between these two only, it would be tough. Most Sealodge units have nice views but I like the location of HBV better since its close to Hideaways and The St Regis. Do you need that much space at HBV? HBV are on stilts, no pool and most have no views unless you are on the front lanai. Sealodge has the slight advantage because of the views. Just rent the right one.

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
815 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanalei Bay Villas or Sealodge

We have stayed at both Sealodge and HBV. Each have different things to offer. A Villa stands alone, is very private and more like a house. Sealodge units are very compact. Some units at Sealodge have amazing views but the lanai's are not private or very comfortable whereas the villas have comfortable private lanai's but more distant views. The Villas are near the St. Regis which is nice if you want to dine there or enjoy the sunset. It really depends on your particular needs.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanalei Bay Villas or Sealodge

>> Sealodge units are very compact <<

I guess that's the politically correct way of saying they are small - very small. We have not stayed there, that's the main reason. Have been in several units - even the 2 bedrooms are pretty cramped. Agree also with seaspirit's take on the lanais. Either one of your picks would be OK for a couple, but with kids, best to look elsewhere. There are many other condos along the bluffs between your two choices that offer comparable views & amenities in your price range. VRBO has a bunch of listings & pics. Keep looking, you'll find the right one. And if you have concerns about a place, just ask. The DE's will give you the straight scoop.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanalei Bay Villas or Sealodge

While the Sealodge units are not large, we found ours too be quite adequate for the two of us. And unlike seaspirit, while our lanai was small, we find it to be quite private. One of the things we really like about the unit we rented at Sealodge is that the way the units are situated they are amazingly private for a condo complex, although certainly not as private as the detached pole houses at HBV.

Kilauea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
687 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanalei Bay Villas or Sealodge

wow, tough choice. Apples and oranges.

If view is important, Sealodge, if space and better location HBV.

California
Level Contributor
39,668 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanalei Bay Villas or Sealodge

You know you might want to check other locations besides the two mentioned. You can find many nice place for $200 a night.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanalei Bay Villas or Sealodge

Not all Hanalei Bay Villas are on poles. We rented one not on poles, so you could walk out the back door onto a patio and into the back yard which had an herb garden.