We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to book airfare for June Trip?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
82 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to book airfare for June Trip?

Hello y'all! We are super excited to explore Kauai with our three boys ages, 14, 12, and 8. We visited Kauai as a couple in March of 2009 and have not stopped talking about how to bring our boys back! We have already booked our condo at PKK Unit 209 for 2 weeks in mid June. We will not be able to afford this trip if we cannot find airfare for $1000.00 pp or under. Lately it has been $1400-$1500, flying out of Memphis or St. Louis... HELP!!! I have always booked myself with the help of sites like Trip Advisor and have ALWAYS saved a ton...granted it takes a lot of time to find that great deal, but I'm willing to put the time in. At this point, we may need to cut our losses and visit another time. I DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT!!! I hear that the North Shore is gorgeous in the summer. When we visited, we had one or two sunny days the whole trip, although we still had a blast and fell in love with the Island. PLEASE help with any hints on when and where to look for good airfare. I have even looked at flexible dates and will cut the loss with the condo to make it work. Much thanks, as always!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,927 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to book airfare for June Trip?

Well, I did just look at Alaska air flying from ST Louis - using their low fare calendar, you could get there for around $1000 or a bit more. BUT (and no, I don't work for them) if both you and your spouse applied for their credit card, you could get a companion fare, which is one full fare and then the 2nd is $99+ tax, so you could fly there for about the cost of 3 fares, rather than 5. I would seriously look at that - Kauai is gorgeous in the summer. :)

Edited: 18 March 2014, 23:21
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to book airfare for June Trip?

When we fly from the midwest, we usually have no problem getting the fare in the 900 to 1000 range. But we alway book 6 months in advance. I guess at this point, you need to check periodically for a sudden reduction in fare. Another way we have found to get the cost down is to book a low cost round trip flight from LAX to Hawaii and then get a low cost flight to LAX the day before on Southwest Airlines, spending the night between flights in an LAX hotel. Then we repeat the process coming home. You need to add two extra nights to your vacation to pull that off though. We actually prefer this method now because it breaks up the long trip.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to book airfare for June Trip?

I hate to be the bearer or bad news but summer is very busy with family travel and the rates do go up for summer. Plus you're looking at just 3 months from now. Many flights are booked up already and it's unlikely you're going to find rates dropping at this late date for a high travel seaon. We've heard from many here that the fares have been inching up.

Coalminer had a great suggestion and it's not too late to avail yourself of it. Take out the Alaska airlines visa card and you automatically get a companion pass. There is no waiting period, no amount of money you have to charge first. It's available as soon as your card processes. This isn't just a one time thing either. You get the companion pass once a year on the anniversary of your card. The companion pass ticket costs around $100 regardless of where flying to. If both of you took out a card that would give you two companion passes. It's really the best deal going out there for mileage pass credit cards.

Unless you snag something like this I don't think the prospects of finding fares under $1,000 is very hopeful. Don't throw in the towel. Forfeit some expensive activities or meals out. The best of Kauai can be had for free, or close to it.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,792 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to book airfare for June Trip?

Sign up on airfarewatchdog.com, they'll send you email alerts on good fares for routes you choose. Also use yapta.com. You can set up certain flights under My Trips and when the fare drops, you'll get an email alert.

Be flexible like Bob said....look at all the possibilities. We can get non-stop flights from LAX-LIH, but in years past have saved money by flying into LAX-HNL-LIH. I've even looked at getting from LAX to the San Francisco area, then onto LIH.

A Hawaii based travel agency may work too. Years ago we used Hawaii-Aloha Travel twice and another recommended agency is Panda Online. Sometimes they can come up with fares you just can't find anywhere else. Might want to combine an air-car package (that's what we did). Last resort - make an offer on Priceline. We did that one time. LAX-HNL...got Delta for $220.00 R/T.......however, I'm not sure I would have done Priceline with kids traveling....

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,766 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to book airfare for June Trip?

Aloha,

At this point, your best bet is to be flexible. Consider other dates and other airports. Try linking 2 different airlines' sales to make the trip, leaving plenty of time in between.

Ita matrix is very helpful. Within a couple of minutes, I saw fares around $1000 for early June and late May.

Good luck.

Aloha

Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to book airfare for June Trip?

I recently checked Allegiant Air from Phoenix to Honolulu and found a reasonable price from there for July and early August. An interisland flight can get you to Kauai. I can get to Phoenix on Allegiant but it doesn't look like they fly from St. Louis. You could check the airport listings to see there is one close to you or fly a different airline to Phoenix. This is not the best option but is still an option.

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to book airfare for June Trip?

Allegiant charges large fees for baggage (even carry on) so be careful of these hidden fees. They might cost you more than using a more reliable airline. My son took Allegiant thinking he was saving money and it cost him an extra $100.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
82 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to book airfare for June Trip?

Thank you all for your great ideas! I have looked into flying to Vegas then Vegas to Honolulu and finally LIHUE. Crazy with 3 kids! But I can get it close to $1000 and it will take 2 extra days. That may be the best deal. I know we can make it work!!

We love all the snorkeling on the north side and the trails, that is why we are staying in the Princeville area, and that VIEW! Can't wait!

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to book airfare for June Trip?

I use ita software to check airfares: …itasoftware.com/#session=f374088a-aee1-4063… The site does not sell tickets--you find the best fare and then go to the airlines' websites and book directly. Give it a try . . .

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,766 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to book airfare for June Trip?

Aloha,

As I mentioned above, flexibility is key in your situation. Can you change dates on your condo rental?

There are fares in the low $800s in early June with creative routing.