We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to rent for mobility challenged senior

Prior Lake...
Level Contributor
69 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Place to rent for mobility challenged senior

Taking sister with COPD on her first (and probably only) trip to Hawaii. I want to take her to Kauai and love the north shore, but am concerned with her getting around. In Mexico we were able to find a place right on the beach and rented a golf cart which worked perfectly. Know we will just have to rent a car, but I am looking for any suggestions from people who know the island for a place to rent that she can maybe walk to beach. Maybe another part of the island is best?

California
Level Contributor
38,338 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to rent for mobility challenged senior

Her best bet is Kaihuna Plantation, Sheraton Poipu or Marriott in Poipu. You would need to rent a house in Hanalei to get on the beach. There are no places that let you rent a golf cart.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,756 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to rent for mobility challenged senior

You might find some useful info on this page:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28932-c155411/Hawaii…

This is an updated link for the AccessibleKauai link on the page:

http://www.accessiblekauai.com/

I'll fix the link on the page later.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 14:22
California
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to rent for mobility challenged senior

Take a look at the cottages on Hanalei Bay here www.beachkauai.com

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
960 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to rent for mobility challenged senior

Not really on topic, but some helpful info for the mobility challenged. Beach wheelchairs are available to rent at Gammies Homecare in Lihue, they also have a location on Maui.

http://www.gammie.com/products/wheelchairs

Here's a vid of one of the types they have -

www.youtube.com/watch…

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,756 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to rent for mobility challenged senior

I fixed the link for AccessibleKauai on the Traveler Article page.

TravelinBeth - We can always use more info for the page to help future visitors. So after your trip, if you provide a trip report that may help others, we can add it to the page.

Or if you know of any other info that may help future visitors, we can add that info also.

I like the AccessibleKauai site. It is from a Kauai resident with a disability.

http://www.accessiblekauai.com/about.html

Prior Lake...
Level Contributor
69 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to rent for mobility challenged senior

Thanks for all the tips. May have to re-think our location. As much as I want to be on the north side, Poipu may be a better option.

California
Level Contributor
38,338 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to rent for mobility challenged senior

At Hanalei Bay Resort, they will drive you down to the beach in a golf cart and also around the resort. If you consider this location (because you really want to be on the North Shore), rent a ground floor unit in the 3000 building. Its right next to the parking lot, close to the main pool and has gorgeous views. 3105-6 comes to mind.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to rent for mobility challenged senior

Ground floor units at Kiahuna Plantation is an excellent suggestion. This complex has expansive flat grounds with nice flat paved walkways throughout it and the best south shore beach right onsite. Most ground floor units open up to the large open lawn areas.

Pick the unit you want by going to vrbo.com or rent via the 2 largest agencies at Kiahuna - Castle Resorts or Outrigger Resorts. With these two you rent according to view category . I'm sure that if you specify first floor because of mobility issues they would accommodate

9. Re: Place to rent for mobility challenged senior

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:17