We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westernmost road to Waimea Canyon closed due to fire...

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Westernmost road to Waimea Canyon closed due to fire...

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There has been a fire burning up in Koke'e/Waimea Canyon above Kekaha today....here is the bulletin about road closures:

"Kauai police report that due to a flare up in the Kokee wildfire, Kokee Road, from the Kokee/Kekaha Road junction, is closed until further notice."

So, if you are planning on going up to Koke'e/Waimea Canyon this weekend, take Waimea Canyon Road from Waimea town - not the route farther west in Kekaha.

Hubby runs up to Koke'e every Sunday via this road - we'll see what Sunday brings! Sending big mahalos to the firefighters who are working hard to contain and put out this fire!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westernmost road to Waimea Canyon closed due to fire...

Oh no! Keep us posted. Hope they contain it.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westernmost road to Waimea Canyon closed due to fire...

We are just a block away from Kokee. So far they are still fighting it this morning. House smells like smoke. Hoping the firefighters get some rest soon. They have been at it since yesterday afternoon.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westernmost road to Waimea Canyon closed due to fire...

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Update on the fire this morning from the Garden Island newspaper:

thegardenisland.com/news/local/kokee-wildfir…

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westernmost road to Waimea Canyon closed due to fire...

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Update today:

A wildfire that broke out late Thursday night near Pokii Ridge in Kokee has since spread to nearby areas, including Paua and Waiaka ridges.

The fire is estimated to be over 1,000 acres in size, and while highly visible to residents in the area, there is no immediate threat to any homes or buildings.

In the interest of public safety, the public is urged to keep away from the area if at all possible.

Access to Waimea Canyon Drive is now being restricted to homeowners and residents only. Kokee Road, from the Kokee/Kekaha Road junction, also remains closed at this time.

As the fire approached a high voltage power line earlier today, Kauai Island Utility Officials initiated a voluntary power outage for all of Kokee as a precaution. The outage will remain in effect until it is safe to restore power.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westernmost road to Waimea Canyon closed due to fire...

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"bumping" this due to a recording I just received from the County of Kaua'i.....

The Kauai Fire Department is asking for a voluntary evacuation of Kokee State Park as of 4:15 pm on Saturday, August 18. No structures are currently in danger, however, road access to and from Kokee via Waimea Canyon Drive may need to be closed in the firefighting effort. Kokee Road at Kekaha Road is already closed to through traffic. Anyone currently in Kokee is asked to evacuate as soon as possible. Electrical power to Kokee has been turned off and is not expected to be restored until tomorrow at the earliest. Also, the request for water conservation for residents and businesses in Kekaha and Waimea remains in effect. Mahalo for your cooperation. Please stay tuned to local media for more updates.

This is quite a bad fire and is apparently not close to being contained as I understand at this point.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Edited: 19 August 2012, 03:53
California
Level Contributor
37,474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westernmost road to Waimea Canyon closed due to fire...

@Txgal:

Looks like you are being asked to leave.

"Firefighters continue to battle a wildfire in Kokee, and although structures are not in danger at this time, Fire Chief Robert Westerman is asking for a voluntary evacuation of Kokee."

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westernmost road to Waimea Canyon closed due to fire...

Oh that is so sad. I hope it is contained quickly! Such a beautiful area it is hard to imagine any of it gone. I hope nobody is hurt fighting this fire.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westernmost road to Waimea Canyon closed due to fire...

So sad to read this.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westernmost road to Waimea Canyon closed due to fire...

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Hubby has been training hills the last 2-3 weeks by running from Kekaha beach up to Koke'e - which was our plan for tomorrow as well - until today.

We still are going out to Kekaha for walking/running around 6am - but won't be going up - obviously!

No homes are affected currently - but it is right above the Menehune Market in Kekaha - which is where the westernmost approach to Koke'e is.

Hoping the rain we are getting right now here on the South Shore is hitting the West Side as well - but I have my doubts!

Malama Pono,

Janet

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westernmost road to Waimea Canyon closed due to fire...

jebett, we are actually in a cottage/home in Kekaha and not in a cabin in Kokee. We were just up there for our renewal vows Wednesday. The fire that was very close to us has been put out or burned out, but it is still burning high on the ridge. We did see it high on the ridge last night coming back to Kekeha from port Allen. We went to the Kauai Island Brewery last night for their grand opening. Hoping the fire gets under control - the destruction is awful.