We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kokee Road-Kalalau Lookout Road question

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kokee Road-Kalalau Lookout Road question

We are getting ready for our November trip to Kauai. On our last 2 trips (2003 and 2006), when hiking the Pihea trail to Kilohana Lookout, we had to park at the first lookout (GPS coordinates N22 9.03 W159 38.67). There was a gate there and a perfectly fine paved road to a second lookout at N22 8.844 W159 37.891. I am wondering if this gate is usually closed, or whether I can expect it to be open? it is a rather boring walk along the mile long road to start the hike. What would be the reason for the locked gate at the first lookout?

Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kokee Road-Kalalau Lookout Road question

I believe there was significant road damage and then they were doing road work to repair it. The last couple of times I've been up there, there's been no problem driving to the 2nd lookout.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kokee Road-Kalalau Lookout Road question

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'm assuming you are referring to the farthest lookout that looks down into Kalalau Valley? - that road has been opened for several years now and is fine to drive to.

I was up there about a week ago and it is still fine to drive to - they were doing repair work a long, long time ago and putting in ADA bathrooms I believe.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kokee Road-Kalalau Lookout Road question

Great, sounds like we're good to go! Thanks for the prompt replies!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kokee Road-Kalalau Lookout Road question

Yep, we do not have a gps, nor ever needed one, but they finally opened that last mile from the Kalalau lookout to the Pu'u o Kila lookout where the Pihea Trail Head begins a wonderful hike overlooking the valley from the ridge.

Actually, probably when you were here, they had the paving done, and it took them a year or more to paint the center stripe on the new pavement. And they kept the newly paved road closed to vehicles for all that time.

I cannot remember years much any more, but I think Janet is right on.

So, they kept the road closed off, and we all , as you did, hiked the mile up the road to the lookout or trailhead from the kalalau lookout area. It was pretty easy and nice scenery with families hoofing on up.

You will like the new paved road, as the old one was full of dangerous potholes and really needed some help. They have done additional paving from around the museum as well on up.

So, head up and enjoy the beautiful views without rattling your fillings, or loosening the bolts on your car.

Koke'e and the Kalalau Valley and the Pihea Trail are there for all of us to enjoy in an easy way.

Have fun !

Denny

Edited: 23 October 2012, 15:54
5. Re: Kokee Road-Kalalau Lookout Road question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2013, 10:19