We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping and fishing at Polihale State Park, Kauai in June.

Which Waimea hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 posts
Save Topic
Camping and fishing at Polihale State Park, Kauai in June.

Any information from recent campers at the beach in Polihale State Park would be greatly appreciated. We are going next month and have gathered alot of info online but still not much info on camping and fishing there. Canopy a must is one bit of advice I would not of thought of since the last place we camped at on Oahu had plenty of shade. Mosquitos? Fishing advice? Cell phone service? Anything you can think of... Thanks! Bob

15 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping and fishing at Polihale State Park, Kauai in June.

You should post your question in Waimea forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60627-i2008-Waime…

Support Forum is for asking general questions on how to use TripAdvisor website, how to find things on it and how to use its many features.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping and fishing at Polihale State Park, Kauai in June.

Hi Robert,

As Hans mentioned, your topic was initially misplaced in the TA Support forum, however, we have since moved it here to the appropriate forum. Good luck with your research and happy travels!

TA_Louise

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping and fishing at Polihale State Park, Kauai in June.

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There is little to no shade at Polihale, so everyone who camps out there uses a canopy (on the beach)....it is just too hot otherwise........I've never, ever experienced a mosquito at Polihale....it is dry as a bone out there and very hot, so not a place you'd find them normally.

Usually families that camp out there take their trucks, their canopy, their coolers, and water toys for the keiki if they are camping at Queen's Pond, which this time of year is super popular.

Shore fishing is quite common there, but I'd speak to someone who is familiar with fishing out there as to the specifics of it.

Malama Pono,

Janet

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping and fishing at Polihale State Park, Kauai in June.

Defn need to make your own shade. And be prepared for windy conditions for your tent. Last time I was there it was really blowing.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60627-d10…

Be prepared for 5 miles of washboard road coming and going. Nothing a basic car can't handle, but it's rough on your back if you try to go faster than 10-15 mph. Be careful of the ocean there. It's a notorious spot for drownings -- not much reef protection at all.

As for posting in the Waimea forum vs. the overall Kauai forum, don't bother. Few actually use the sub fora from what I see.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
375 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping and fishing at Polihale State Park, Kauai in June.

Can one rent camping gear somewhere on Kauai to camp at Polihale? We don't want to schlep all our gear over as we are only looking to camp for two of the nights.

Thank you,

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping and fishing at Polihale State Park, Kauai in June.

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I only know of one place here that rents tents, etc. and that would be Kayak Kaua'i up in Hanalei....here is their website with what they have and prices.....

https:/…rentals_camping.php

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping and fishing at Polihale State Park, Kauai in June.

I always thought this would be fun! I would definitely check with them on driving out to Polihale. They also rent camping gear.

http://www.kauaicamperrental.com/

It does not look like they allow you to drive the camper vans out to Polihale but they DO rent camping gear.

"TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS: NO OFF-ROADING! Polihale State Park: there is no service once you leave the

paved road. This and other sand/ dirt roads are restricted and leasee assumes all damages incurred to

the van."

Edited: 28 May 2013, 20:10
Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping and fishing at Polihale State Park, Kauai in June.

I disagree on the topic of shade. Officially, there is no camping or driving on the beach, but people still do it. Actually, all of the trucks and canopies I saw at Queen's pond last time (long Thanksgiving weekend) were day-trippers, not overnight campers. I did see some canopies and tents (and trucks) set up overnight on the last little piece of beach near the cliff. The rest of the beach did have ruts, and people drive their trucks up and down, but nearly all of the overnight campers I saw were in or near the pavilions and facilities of the designated campground. That may change with summer crowds, but because of the heat on the beach, I rather doubt it.

The places where people camp are rather spread out. After you reach the main parking lot, all of the pavilions toward cliffs are nominally day-use, but every time, I see people setting up camp there. The some pavilions are small with only a picnic table, and people put up a shad canopy nearby for their tent. There are a few larger pavilions that people take over and set up tents underneath--don't count on getting one of those yourself. The designated camping areas are between the big monkeypod tree and the designated campground, up on the main dune accessed via a sandy loop (2 junctions to the main road). And many of the camping spots in the designated camping area are under acacia trees. These do not have thick shade, but definitely shade. I would say about half the camping spots are nicely shaded.

That said, it is very hot at Polihale in the summer, and the sun is intense. It is also more crowded, especially on weekends. But if you want to avoid the expense (~$100) of a shade canopy, I think you could go during the week and find a solution (pavilion or spot under the trees). A much cheaper alternative is to take a large beach umbrella so you at least have shade for yourselves on the beach during the day.

As for camping gear, I don't know any other possibilities than those that were mentioned already. You don't need big sleeping bags at all (but you do need a light blanket), so a medium tent, air mattresses, and a light blanket per person should fit into a large roller suitcase. That's only $25 each way for checked luggage (plus the hassle of carrying it around), and that's what my family does when we go to other islands or the mainland.

Did I mention Polihale will be hot? Take plenty of water along, or water bottles for getting water from the restrooms. They did have problems with water before, but it seems OK now (they have to close the park if the water system breaks). Restrooms aren't in great shape, but they work. There are cold outdoor showers at or near each restroom. For food, it's a long drive back to Kekaha (closest mini-mart) or Waimea (closest grocery and restaurants), so you should be self sufficient. As a visitor, I wouldn't bother with a cooler or a stove, just buy food for a few days that doesn't need heating or cooling (cereal, cans, prepared foods, etc).

Other issues: acacias have big thorns so always wear shoes in the camping area. If you step off the little paths, you are almost guaranteed to get a thorn in your shoe. These thorns can go through the regular flip-flops and light-weight sneakers, so beware. Also, it is dry there and I have seen a big centipede once. Not a big issue, just be careful.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping and fishing at Polihale State Park, Kauai in June.

I meant to write: The designated camping areas are between the big monkeypod tree and the main parking area, up on the main dune accessed via a sandy loop (2 junctions to the main road).

And no description of Polihale would be complete without warning about the sand. The road from the monkeypod tree to the main parking area does have some sand on it in several places. Unless the sand has really built up, I think a normal 2WD car can get through as long as you drive correctly (not too slow, not too fast, don't stop in the sand--kinda like driving on snow). You often see rental cars parked by the side of the road right before the first sandy patch, and there is now a (sandy) trail up over the dune and through the campground to the beach at that spot.

However, the loop road up to the camping area is more sandy. I barely made it through in my AWD Subaru, so I would be very careful in a 2WD rental car. The junction closest to the monkeypod tree has less sand, so I recommend going up that way. The junction closest to the main parking has the most sand and a 2WD car probably cannot go up it and will remain stuck. So I would park near the first junction, walk up the road to find a campsite and then examine the sand on the road to see if you feel comfortable driving up there to unload. Alternatively, you could drive to the main parking area (as described above), which is nominally day-use only but if there are other tents there, you could probably find room without bothering anybody.

California
Level Contributor
9,299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camping and fishing at Polihale State Park, Kauai in June.

Well, after reading this article in the paper today, I'd be hesitant to camp at Polihale. thegardenisland.com/news/local/a2c5835a-dd66…

Someone said that 14-25 year olds shouldn't be camping, but does that mean they deserve to be robbed and their cars bashed?? People ask all the time about the safety of camping on Kauai, and, in fact, my daughter and a big group are planning on camping there next month. I'm hoping they rethink this!!! It seems like others should also have this information available.

I see post all the time here warning others about robberies and so forth, so if someone could explain to me how this newspaper article shouldn't be on the forum, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Reply to: Camping and fishing at Polihale State Park, Kauai in June.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted