We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting things to see in Lanai City.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting things to see in Lanai City.

We are considering a day trip to Lanai next April from Maui, and we are not beach people, hiking people and we were wondering if there is enough there to keep us occupied for the whole day?

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,760 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting things to see in Lanai City.

All day? Perhaps. The Mike Carol art gallery could take an hour or so. The town itself is just a few blocks square. The Lanai Culture & Heritage Center is another hour or more. There are some great gardens at both Four Seasons as well.

I assume you are not renting a jeep or Hummer to see anything?

Mentioned in this post
Lanai Culture & Heritage Center
Lanai Culture & Heritage...
122 Reviews
Lanai, HI
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
47,840 posts
1,543 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting things to see in Lanai City.

Now, if you plan to venture beyond just Lanai City, and include the two Four Seasons properties, I think that you will have a nice full day. Though there are some nice little restaurants in Lanai City, I think that I would opt for something just a bit more formal, and dine at the Lodge. Then take a bit to stroll the property. http://www.fourseasons.com/koele/ The other property, Manele Bay is nice, but other than a few hidden little garden spots, can be walked in an hour. http://www.fourseasons.com/manelebay/

Enjoy,

Hunt

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
30,963 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting things to see in Lanai City.

I would rent a Jeep or Hummer. Lanai City is good for an hour or two as noted above but then you could drive to Keahiakawelo (Garden of the Gods) and also Kaunolu Village/Kahekili's Leap. Also even not being beach people - Kaiolohia (Shipwreck Beach) has this really cool ghostly, rusty WWII shipwreck as does Awalua.

When you say you're not beach people, does that mean snorkeling too? Hulopoe Bay is some of the best in Hawaii.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 02:46
Mentioned in this post
Shipwreck Beach
Shipwreck Beach
191 Reviews
Lanai, HI
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting things to see in Lanai City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMxwLG4dQSg

This is what we did!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting things to see in Lanai City.

Aloha, here is a copy of my Day Trip to Lana`i info, with an emphasis on renting a 4x4:

A daytrip to Lana’i is a wonderful way to spend one day of your Hawai’i vacation. It is only a 10 minute walk from the ferry dock to Hulopo’e Beach, where you will find some of the best snorkeling in all the islands. You would need to bring rented snorkel gear along from Maui, as there is none available for rent on Lana'i. Here is a link to the ferry company’s website:

http://www.go-lanai.com/

You will still be able to look for whales (in season) and dolphins from the ferry. From the left side of the beach as you face the water, you can also take a nice short hike up to Pu'u Pehe Overlook (Sweetheart Rock), where you will have great views of Maui and Kaho'olawe. There are also great tidal pools to check out around the beach. You can also take the 5 minute walk up to the Four Seasons Manele Bay Resort and check out the great artwork and beautiful gardens. Lunch at the Ocean Grill there has great views, although it is fairly expensive. Otherwise you can bring a picnic lunch and have it right on the beach. There are picnic tables, as well as facilities and showers there.

And if you are really interested in checking out the island, rent a 4x4, a Jeep or Hummer and explore all the great isolated off-road sites. The Hummer guys will meet you right at the ferry dock with the vehicle, and you just leave it there at the end of the day. It is expensive, about $199/day. For more info their website is:

http://www.808hummers.com

Jeep rental is from Dollar and is about $139 + tax. However, they traditionally may not let you visit as many off road sites compared to the Hummers. Their website is:

http://www.dollarlanai.com

I currently recommend staying away from Adventure Lana`i Ecocentre for a rental, as an ownership change has lead to service and quality concerns.

There are many off-road sites to visit with a 4x4 Jeep on Lana’i. Here is a summary:

Shipwreck beach is pretty cool. Yes, there is a shipwreck that is easily visible; in fact you can see it as you drive down the long curvy paved road. Where the paved road ends, if you go to the left, there is a sandy dirt road that ends in a parking lot. There are suppose to be petroglyphs near where you park, but I have never found them. The beach is seemingly endless, but takes about 15-20 minutes to get from the parking area to in front of the shipwreck. The beach continues around the island for miles all the way to Polihu'a Beach, but I would just walk out to the shipwreck. In the winter it is can be very windy here, so it may not be the best place for a long hike. I have been told it is much calmer in the summer. The place where you park is only a few minutes to the left off the paved road.

Where the paved road ends, if you go to the right instead, it takes you toward Lopa Beach. This road can occasionally get washed out, but they will tell you when you rent the Jeep. Otherwise this is a rather smooth road and easy to drive. You will have to stop at the remains of the old church. And at Lopa Beach there is a picnic table and generally calm winds and low surf. It is a nice place to wade out into the water, and turtles can be found here. The road continues to and ends at Naha, another pretty and quiet location. I have never seen anyone at Lopa, but occasionally see some locals at Naha.

You could finish your day up by driving the Munro Trail as long as it is drivable (that has been an issue lately). There are wonderful views in various directions and this take you to the highest point on the island. It is a fun drive too; I think about 12 miles of multiple curves and ups and downs. You may be able to see four other islands from the various views. I suggest you finish with this since the end of the road takes you to the top of the hill on the way down to Manele to end your day.

I think going through Garden of the Gods (a beautiful rocky landscape in a very unusual way) would be another good choice. On the way there you go thru some interesting ironwood groves. There is also has been a short self guided nature tour showing some native Lana'i vegetation right before GOTGs, but this is currently being restored. After GOTGs, the road gets rougher and heads downhill to Polihu'a Beach. This beach can also be windy especially in the winter, but is so big and beautiful that it is worth the drive. It is the size of several football fields and you may be the only ones there. You will see Moloka'i from there and on a clear day maybe Oahu. Because the colors in GOTGs can be very beautiful near dusk, you may one do to this drive last instead. But because of some rough spots in the road I wouldn't drive this back AFTER dark.

Another option is to drive to Kaunolu, another interesting place. But you may have to give up some place else to do this. The road to Kaunolu, the summer fishing home for Kamehameha the Great, can be rough, but has always been drivable for me. Ask Mike Carroll, at his gallery in town, for good directions to this place. You will see well maintained ruins of some buildings, and can hike up to Kahekili's Leap (Warrior's Leap), where the King's men could prove their bravery - a 63 foot dive into the ocean, or walk around tidal pools at the shore. To get to these places, you need to hike down the rough trail that goes off to the right just after the picnic table. There are also a few old fishing houses down the road, and you can hike to them. If you walk out to the lighthouse you will get some great views.

The Pocket Guide to Lana'i, available at most shops in town and at the resorts, has great descriptions of all these places with wonderful photos by Joe West, who lives and works on Lana'i.

You can also get a day pass on the shuttle that the resorts run on the island. It is cheaper than the Jeep (something like $10/person), but of course only takes you on the paved roads. It is at the ferry dock for all boat arrivals, goes to Manele Bay, stops at Hotel Lana’i in Lana’i City (from which you can explore the small town – have lunch and check out the shops and galleries), and ends up at the Lodge at Koele. It runs every 30-60 minutes depending on the occupancy of the resorts and the time of day.

My only warning is that you will have such a good time on Lana'i that you will not want to return to Maui at the end of the day. ;-)

I know you said you are not hikers, but the 20 minute walk up the Pu'u Pehe overlook is worth it and easy.

And here is the link to all things to do on Lana`i:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29219-c2257/Lanai:Ha…

It has been over a year since I updated this, but it is still pretty much UTD. Does anyone know if Jordanne still has her gallery, I recall she was considering a move?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lopa Beach
Lopa Beach
14 Reviews
Lanai, HI
Munro Trail
Munro Trail
58 Reviews
Lanai, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting things to see in Lanai City.

Thank you so much for your detailed response.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting things to see in Lanai City.

It would have to be all day based on ferry schedule.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting things to see in Lanai City.

We have snorkeled already on the south side of Lanai.

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interesting things to see in Lanai City.

Nice, but not quite what we are looking for. Thanks.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interesting things to see in Lanai City.

Thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Lanai City