We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RTH - Dropping off luggage in Hana and "backtracking"

Which Hana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
RTH - Dropping off luggage in Hana and "backtracking"

So based on everything i've read on the forum, Iand am still trying to decide if we should overnight in Hana (as part of our 2 week trip to Hawaii in November, 1 week Mauii and 1 week Big Island). We would drive straight there to drop off our luggage to avoid theft. What I'm wondering is, after we drop off our luggage, how far would we have to backtrack down the road to see the sights we wanted to see but couldn't due to luggage in the car? I think it would be annoying to drive a couple hours to get there and then drive half way back to see the sights, going back to hana that night and then driving back the same day (effectively driving some parts 4 times). If we have to backtrack quite a bit, perhaps we should just do 2 daystrips to Hana instead?

Socal
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RTH - Dropping off luggage in Hana and "backtracking"

Waay too much driving here...

The RTH is a long drive...it's several hours and very curvy. Going back and forth multiple times is a huge time consumer. You could be spending that time at the beach!

If you want to spend the night there, just drive to town, drop off your items at the hotel and see the local area sites...pools, gulch, etc. Plan to stay elsewhere on the island as well and use that as your base for other sights.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RTH - Dropping off luggage in Hana and "backtracking"

This is how I would do it. Drive straight to Hana and drop off your luggage. Then you can explore everything that is near Hana. Oheo Gulch, Waianapanapa State Park, Lindbergh's grave, the Pipiwai Trail, Hamoa Beach etc. The best waterfalls are beyond Hana. Then put your luggage in the trunk, and hit any spots going back that you would like to see. Making sure you don't get into the trunk at any of the spots. If this doesn't appeal to you or you don't want to take a chance with the luggage in the trunk, do one day tour. It can leisurely be done in a 12 hour trip.

canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RTH - Dropping off luggage in Hana and "backtracking"

Thanks Msfuzz. Nesdog I don't think you understood, I am staying elsewhere for the rest of the trip. It's just I've read that a 1 day trip to Hana is very rushed, 2 days is better, but if you are staying overnight in Hana (thus you have your luggage with you), that you should drive straight there to drop your stuff off (to avoid getting it stolen from the trunk), and then go back to see the sights along the road. If some of the things to see are fairly far from hana (closer to where the road starts) I would end up "backtracking" quite a bit. But if most of the best sites are near Hana then I can see how this option will work well.

I think the 12 hour day sounds like too much if the road is as bad as I've heard, wouldn't want my hubby driving it if he was tired.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: RTH - Dropping off luggage in Hana and "backtracking"

Hi there,

No need to rush. Make the stay and then make the play.

All the best ..K/Burp

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RTH - Dropping off luggage in Hana and "backtracking"

IMO you have made far too much of the RTH, especially what with getting off a flight, driving there, over night, you end up with 3 days out of a week (because you'd have to backtrack to get your luggage again) , which is way out of proportion especially when you consider you'd miss out a lot of other stuff on Maui to do that.

Just drive to wherever you will be staying and do RTH as a single day trip on one day, yes its a long day, but don't turn it from that into 3 days , which is also nearly 50% of your time on maui ! Not to mention, you'd be really sick and tired of it by the end of 3 return trips on it, you'd be better off not doing it at all than your plan.

canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RTH - Dropping off luggage in Hana and "backtracking"

No I did not mention turning it into 3 days, only 2. First day we drive to drop off our luggage, backtrack a bit to see some of the sights we missed on the way up. The next day, we go see some sights nearby in the early morning, and then grab our luggage by checkout time and drive back.

Overall, we have 6.5 days in Maui so I figure 2 days for RTH, 1 day for Haleakala and 3.5 days for driving around the rest of the island, snorkelling and surfing. Isn't that a good balance?

Ocoee, Florida
Level Contributor
272 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RTH - Dropping off luggage in Hana and "backtracking"

During the last three trips to Maui, we had 2-3 nights in Hana each trip and managed to explore plenty on our way to Hana since check-in was never before 3pm. We kept everything in the trunk - nothing within the cabin of the car. We did not access the trunk at all at any of the stops, but did not venture far from the car. We also rolled up the windows and locked it. We never had any trouble. Maybe the last few trips like this were just luck - who knows for sure?

During our trip there this past February, we rented a convertible Mustang. We managed to squeeze two large suitcases (soft-sided) and a miriad of other stuff into the trunk, which was only rated for 1 large and 1 small suitcase. My laptop and camera with associated gear was all in my backpack, which was on my back at every stop. We even left the top down at several spots, but did not venture beyond sight of the car. At spots where we were out of sight, we put the top up and locked it. We had no problems, but were never very far from the car since all of our stuff was in there.

We did notice a suspicious character peering into the vehicle next to ours while on Keanae Peninsula. Once I made it known that I was watching him, he slinked across the street and into a house there.

I am not telling you there are no problems or that you should not be concerned about theft. However, our method has worked for us multiple times and came off without a hitch.

Also note that there are some sights along this road that you will definitely need to leave the vehicle unattended for lengths of time where you do not want to chance leaving anything in the vehicle. Those explorations for us were made the next day or two of our stay where we back-tracked early and explored in detail. But also note that we still had no problems following the procedure above.

The RTH is our favorite thing to do on Maui and we have explored much of it over the last several trips. We certainly never tire of it. This last trip was especially pleasing since we finally flew with Hang Gliding Maui and got to see from the air many of the places we had seen in detail from the ground. Take a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3KAzBSqNYY

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Tim

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RTH - Dropping off luggage in Hana and "backtracking"

<<First day we drive to drop off our luggage, backtrack a bit to see some of the sights we missed on the way up. The next day, we go see some sights nearby in the early morning, and then grab our luggage by checkout time and drive back.

I see, its two days, and a *lot* of backtracking. Is this right? Airport to H = 1 trip. H back 1/2 way then back again = 2 halves. Next day, out (lets say 1/4 out the same back, out full trip. = 2 quarters, one full. For a total of 2 full trips and two halves and two quarters (phew), or 3.5 RTH trips. Remind me, you were trying to cut down on the driving, right? :-)

<<Overall, we have 6.5 days in Maui so I figure 2 days for RTH, 1 day for Haleakala and 3.5 days for driving around the rest of the island, snorkelling and surfing. Isn't that a good balance?>>

I'd cut one off RTH, (rather than do it 3.5 times in two days, because to avoid doing it twice in one day you simply do it 1.75 times on two days)

You also don't have any time for lazing at the beach, which is a tragedy :-)

Enjoy whatever you do.

canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RTH - Dropping off luggage in Hana and "backtracking"

well the lazying at the beach was built in to the other 3.5 days. Also we often go down to the Caribbean where we do nothing but laze on the beach for 7 days. This trip will be much more expensive, but with the benefit of having lots to do.

The comment about doing the road about 3.5 days was exactly the purpose of my question, I wondered if we'd just be backtracking a short ways down the road to see most of the sights, or if we'd effectively end up driving most of it 4 times!

BlueCollar - that's pretty much what I was thinking, we would be able to do the short stops on the way, but the longer stops where we get away from the car, we would only do after we drop off our luggage and "backtrack". So are those longer/farther stops all fairly close to Hana or would they require a lot of backtracking?

canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RTH - Dropping off luggage in Hana and "backtracking"

the hang gliding trip looks awesome, but having been in a skydiving accident, my risk tolerance is much lower than it used to be!!!