We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hana Caves. Help. How far from Kanaapali?

Which Hana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
349 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Hana Caves. Help. How far from Kanaapali?

Hi. I understand there are two sets of caves? Dry ones under ground and ones you can swim in. Correct me if I'm wrong. My teenage son wants to explore caves. He loved the ones on Big Island. Does anyone know how far on the road to Hana til we reach the caves? Is it worth the drive just for the caves? Any cave help would be appreciated!!

Lombard, IL
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hana Caves. Help. How far from Kanaapali?

I believe what you are referring to is Kaeleku Caverns aka Hana Lava Tube. It's just before you get to Hana so you really do the entire Road to Hana to get there - say 3.5-4 hours from Kaanapali. These are dry caves and I was impressed,. It's a cool thing to do. Only you can tell if it's worth it for only the caves. It's a major time investment for about a half hour tour. As a stop along the road to Hana - most definately worth it!

I'm not sure about the swimming caves. I think you may be talking about Wainapanapa State Park which has a beautiful black sand beach and very interesting lava formations. That too is just before you get to Hana so you do the entire road to get there.

Edited: 07 October 2010, 18:22
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hana Caves. Help. How far from Kanaapali?

Hoages is pretty much right on!! I don't think it would take you more than 3 hours to get there, probably a bit less if you don't stop on the way!! The caves are just outside of Hana Town. Hana Lava Tubes at Ka`eleku Caverns, I hear, is a great place to explore. It's definitely worth a stop but I suggest doing this as part of your Hana journey and explore all the other wonderful areas this special place has to offer.

Edited: 07 October 2010, 18:31
San Diego...
Level Contributor
349 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hana Caves. Help. How far from Kanaapali?

thanks for the info! not sure if i can do that much driving in a day...car sickness. i guess we'll see...

4. Re: Hana Caves. Help. How far from Kanaapali?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2011, 07:17