We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hana Maui Hotel with almost 3 yr old for a week?

Which Hana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
Level Contributor
17 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Hana Maui Hotel with almost 3 yr old for a week?

Our travel plan to the Kona Village resort has been cancelled due to damage from the tsunami-so I am looking for a plan B-I was at the hana maui years ago in college for one day and loved it-but not sure if there will be enough for us to do with our daughter? We love the beach and the pool and hiking-and I am looking for something that is not a traditional big hotel--has anyone done this hotel for a week with a toddler? Any insight? Babysitters from the hotel? ANy comments would be appreciated-thank you!!

pdx
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hana Maui Hotel with almost 3 yr old for a week?

I could be wrong but I think that the Hana Maui hotel no longer welcomes guest under the age of 16. I would check their web site to be sure.

san francisco
Level Contributor
17 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hana Maui Hotel with almost 3 yr old for a week?

They do just not in the Sea Cottages....

pdx
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hana Maui Hotel with almost 3 yr old for a week?

Oh OK. After reading so many places to stay the information gets mixed together in my mind. I can't help with if there is enough to do for a 3 year old as I have never been to Hana. We are going this year for the first time and spending one night. :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,466 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hana Maui Hotel with almost 3 yr old for a week?

Our DS had his third birthday while we were staying at a now-vanished resort on a small island in the harbor at Charlotte Amalie, St.Thomas. He was happy. We were somewhat bored. There's a bit more TO Hotel Hana -- more other adults and light activities, and one week isn't *forever*. It's not my cup of tea, but if you wanted KVR, perhaps this is as close as you'll come to that. As far as you son liking it, he may miss having other children around. Does he still nap and have early bedtime? (Thinking of giving YOU some free time.)

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hana Maui Hotel with almost 3 yr old for a week?

The beach is very close by and and enclosed harbor. You should be fine to sit down there and splash. Not sure about the pool there. I haven't been on the grounds. You're not far from lots of hiking but use judgement on taking your toddler. Food/baby options will be limited so be sure to stock up before you get to the hotel. They may literally run out of diapers out there and it's a heck of a drive to go get more (hoping the child is potty trained).

United States
Level Contributor
53 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hana Maui Hotel with almost 3 yr old for a week?

Try Napili. The beach is great for little ones. We have stayed at Napili Sunset and Napili Kai. Either is great.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hana Maui Hotel with almost 3 yr old for a week?

it's sad about the Kona Village Resort. Our thoughts go out to the employee's and residents on this side of the Big Island of Hawaii!!

Hana is a great place to stay!! Just be aware of how really isolated it is. Make sure you have any special provisions you will need to take care of your toddler. You should be able to find plenty of things to do if you aren't looking for entertainment every time you turn around. Nature is the thing to do in Hana and surrounding area's.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hana Maui Hotel with almost 3 yr old for a week?

Just the drive down and back would be enough to kill that idea. However, if you fly in and out, it wouldn't be so bad. I really like the Napili suggestion. The Napili Kai would have nice accommodations and a beach with families. It would be way easier to hire a sitter from thenannyconnection.com from there.

Northern California
Level Contributor
367 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hana Maui Hotel with almost 3 yr old for a week?

My children are all grown, but I would say no, definitely not enough to do with a toddler. Especially if you hit a patch of cool, rainy weather.

Check wizardpub.com --you can see aerial pictures of the hotels on the Kona side and decide what hotels you are willing to settle for. Be grateful you can still go.

Northern California
Level Contributor
367 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hana Maui Hotel with almost 3 yr old for a week?

Whoops I mean the Lahaina-Kihei side!