We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to incorporate Hana into our trip?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
41 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
How to incorporate Hana into our trip?

We are a mid-30s couple who loves the outdoors. We've been to Maui many times but have never been to Hana because the idea of spending that much time in the car wasn't appealing. However we're spending 9 nights in Maui at the end of May and now considering a trip to Hana. We arrive in Maui at 12:30pm and leave at 10:40am.

Here are our options:

1. drive directly to Hana with stops along the way and spend 1-3 nights there

2. take a day trip to Hana from our home base in Kaanapali

3. end our trip with 1-3 nights in Hana, which would require us to leave at a very early time to get our 10:40am flight

What I'm worried about with staying in Hana is that we'd have our bags in our vehicle and have heard about many break-ins at the stops along the way. Also - if we had a Jeep which sounds like the idea vehicle to use - we'd have no way of locking our suitcases in the trunk. Is it worth it to stay in Hana or is it best to do it as a day trip?

Tigard, Oregon
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to incorporate Hana into our trip?

I too have been thinking about doing an overnight trip to Hana for my 16 day August trip. I have an 11 (boy) and 9 (girl) year old and am leaning to not make the trip as it may be too much driving. And since it is my first trip to Maui, I think that I can find a lot of other things to interest us.

I am curious to hear what others say about your options. I would think one night in Hana should suffice and to take just a change of clothes in a grocery bag which should not be a worry about anyone stealing. Suitcases do seem like an item that scum would snatch. Even if the extra clothes get stolen, 2 days wearing the same clothes should not be a big deal.

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
574 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to incorporate Hana into our trip?

We did Hana road as a day trip but due to the time constraints from making stops got only as far as Hana not past it to the 7 pools area I would recommend at least a one night overnight. You could drive up to Hana drop off your bags spend time at the lava tube and the black sand beach. The next day drive up to the Nationsl park/7 pools area spend most of the day and pick up your bags from the hotel storage as you head back

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to incorporate Hana into our trip?

You are right, you don't want to be traveling to Hana and stopping with luggage in your car. A jeep would be worse!! I also wouldn't want to end my vacation in Hana. Driving to the airport from Hana would be at least a 2 1/2 hr. trip. If you were to run into any problems, like pouring rain or a flat tire, you could miss your flight. Either stay in Hana at the beginning of your trip, going straight to Hana and dropping off your luggage before exploring, or, do it as a day trip.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,202 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to incorporate Hana into our trip?

We have alwas done Hana as a day trip, and alwas make it to the seven pools. The trick is to try and get a early start, and even doing that never make it back before dark. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,756 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to incorporate Hana into our trip?

I think you would enjoy yourself more/worry less just doing it as a day trip - get up early, pack a lunch and head out. Not sure if you can drive all the way around - I love that. It is a beautiful trip - enjoy! :)

california
Level Contributor
335 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to incorporate Hana into our trip?

We were trying to figure out the same thing -- how to incorporate Hana. We remember doing the drive more than 20 years as a one-day trip, and feeling rushed. This trip we are travelling with teens, and are spending the first 2-3 nights in Hana, and then a week in South Maui. We're looking forward to having some time to explore the area.

Antioch, California
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How to incorporate Hana into our trip?

We have done the road to Hana at least 3 times, always as a day trip -- twice from Kaanapali area and once from Kihei. If you get an early start, there is no problem getting as far as the seven pools area and back in one day. It is a long drive, and a lot of time in the car. If you want to take more time to explore and hike, or enjoy the beaches, etc. you may want to spend a night in Hana. I definitely would not take a Jeep. Every time we have made the drive, it has rained at least part of the way, sometimes heavily. But you should definitely do it! It's unforgettable.

Maui
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to incorporate Hana into our trip?

As msfuzz mentions, how about driving directly to your Hana accommodations, checking in, dropping your bags and then starting to explore? Yes, it may mean that you will be driving back and forth on the Hana Highway several times but, since it's basically the only road on that part of the island, that really can't be helped, whether you go back toward the airport or toward Oheo gulch. That way, you won't have to worry about leaving luggage in your car on the way there and your trip back from Hana to Kaanapali can be done leisurely. And, while a Jeep is a fun way to do that drive, you can do it in any car as the road is paved the entire way to Hana (and beyond).

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,756 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to incorporate Hana into our trip?

I kind of agree with msfuzz about driving straight to your lodging except.

On a different day drive part of Road to Hana. Stop at Hookipa Beach (not actually on Road to Hana, but you will drive past it), Twin Falls (MM2), Garden of Eden (MM10) & maybe as far as Ke'anae Arboretum & Peninsula (MM17).

Then when you drive Road to Hana on a different day, check into your lodging & then explore. It is easy to backtrack a few miles to Waianapanapa State Park.

No luggage worries at all.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
196 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to incorporate Hana into our trip?

I would take Option 1 or 2. We have done the one-day trip from the Maui Sheraton on Kaanapali beach getting an early start. There was a place in Paia we stopped at for a box lunch they pack in a cooler for the road to Hana trip. There is so much to see and do. If you want to take more time to explore, hike, and enjoy the beaches you may want to spend a night in Hana. With our schedule time didn’t allow any overnight stay in Hana. We managed to see almost everything and got back before dark stopping at Mama’s Fish House for dinner. I am so glad we did The Road to Hana. Everyone should definitely to it. You won't be disappointed.