We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Hana in the afternoon??

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Hana in the afternoon??

Hello!! I'm looking for some advice about driving to Hana in the afternoon. We are arriving at OGG at 1pm and are planning to head to Hana for 2 nights before going to Wailea. I am wondering if we leave for Hana at around 2 pm if we will be stuck in CRAZY SLOW traffic on the RTH. I know typically people leave really early to avoid the crowds, but my thought is that by 2pm most people will already be in Hana. If anyone could share their thoughts I would really appreciate it. ALSO, any thoughts on driving all the way around to Wailea on the way back? THANKS!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
59,944 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Hana in the afternoon??

Aloha,

Driving to Hana in the afternoon will be pretty easy and quick. Most of the traffic-tourist, that is--will be coming back. Just remember you should drive straight through, to avoid any issues with luggage in your car. Theft from motor vehicles can be a problem along the road's stops, and better safe than sorry.

You will be violating your rental car contract is you go on the "back side". Also, the road does NOT connect to Wailea. It wouldn't save you any time.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,824 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Hana in the afternoon??

You shouldn't run into any "crazy slow" traffic. That really doesn't exist on the Hana Hwy. Just be aware the speed limit is something around 25mph. Like sw says most of the people doing an early drive will either be where they want to be or on their way back. Have fun and have a wonderful journey to Hana.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Hana in the afternoon??

swmarket and msfuzz, thanks for your quick response. I'm glad to hear the road don't be bumper to bumper.....that was turning me off my idea of leaving once we arrive. Also, thanks for the tip about the suitcases etc. I am rather paranoid but a reminder is always greatly appreciated.

I thought I read that you can drive all they way around the island now, with some rental companies?

Also, if I may pick your brains....

My plan was to add a side trip such as Hana to our 10 day trip. I also considered Lanai, but couldn't figure out how to long term park the car in Lahaina and stay at the four seasons for 2-3 nights. It also seemed a lot more expensive and several review have noted the food is terribly expensive on Lanai. In Hana I was looking at renting a condo. Would either of you suggest one of my side trips more than the other?

THANKS!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Hana in the afternoon??

If you drive around the whole way, you'll end up in Kula, not Wailea. I think there is one rental car company that doesn't mention driving around the south end or north end.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,944 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Hana in the afternoon??

Aloha,

None of the major rental agencies allow you to drive the back side. Also, there's no connecting road between the back road and Wailea---which is why you don't 'save' any time. You would still have to drive back into the Kahului area and then head down to Wailea. Look at this map:

honolulupublishing.com/MauiMaps/maui_map_isl…

There aren't "condos" in Hana like other areas of Maui. There are some good cottages and B&B's, but be very careful of what you book. I highly rec:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60630-d311863-…

Great people, lovely property, and a legal B&B.

I think you're trying to do too much.......stick with Maui, maybe take the ferry to Lana'i for the day only. Food is pricey on Maui too, but you have way more options to keep expenses down.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,824 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Hana in the afternoon??

There is one jeep company and perhaps a local rental car company that will let you drive their vehicles on the southern route. None of these are the major rental car companies. They still prohibit you from driving any further than Kipahulu.

Going to Lanai vs Hana will be a very personal decision. Hana is in the midst of a rainforest, Lanai is very dry. Both areas are very different. It will be expensive to go and stay on Lanai, but worth it if you have the money to spend. I know there are places to park your car for a couple of days but something that I'm not familiar with, sorry!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Hana in the afternoon??

Thanks again for the quick replies. Thank you for the map showing the road, that was very helpful. I would still love to drive south side but I would not risk violating the rental car agreement.

I am going to try to research a long term parking option in Lahaina. I only want to pick one side trip. I would love to drive in Lanai but I don't think (actually know) that my husband can handle the boat trip from Lahaina to Lanai.

Thanks for the review of the B & B, it looks great. I was considering HANA KAI MAUI. We were also planning on stoping at Whole Foods and Costco to pick up food to bring to Hana and the condo in Wailea. I am originally from Canada, and I think that keeps the sticker shock of price on Maui a bit lower for me.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,944 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Hana in the afternoon??

Aloha,

I'm so confused!! How were you planning to get to Lana'i if not by the ferry? The ferry leaves from Lahaina Harbor.

If you were planning on flying, you could fly out of the West Maui airport--and there's long term parking there, 10.00 per day. JHM (the airport) is about 15 minutes north of Lahaina town.

Edited: 20 August 2011, 21:04
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Hana in the afternoon??

Sorry to confuse you, I think i'm confused myself.

I've decided to go to Hana and NOT LANAI. I think Lanai looks amazing but I think Hana sounds like too much fun!!!

Do you suggest a good time to drive back from Hana towards Paia to avoid congestion on the road. I know leaving early would be good, but if we are staying in Hana I want to take full advantage of being there.

MANY THANKS!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,645 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Hana in the afternoon??

On your way to Hana in Paia is Mana Foods. Great alternative to Whole foods, smaller but better prices. Wonderful selection of island veggies and fruits. they also have a hot deli. Just love this store.