We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift Cert. to Mama's Fish House

Which Hana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit Burbs
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gift Cert. to Mama's Fish House

My brother and his bride will be honeymooning in Maui in Oct. Would like to give them a gift cert. to Mama's. How much do you recommend? Is $250 good for dinner and a bottle of wine? Thanks,

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift Cert. to Mama's Fish House

I think that would be a great amount. Generally appetizers are about $18-26, most entrees are $30-60 and I can recall from our last drip that glasses of wine were $10-20ish. Sorry can't remember the bottle price. Our last lunch there which consisted of 2 appetizers, 2 entrees ($50.00 each), and one desert set us back $167.00 with tip. It was PLENTY of food.

We have been lucky enough to eat at Mama's several time. I suggest going for lunch around 11:30. Every time we've done this, we have had a "front row" eat. It also tends to be less busy for lunch. Reservation rec'd. When we've gone for dinner, we always comment that it's busy, loud and lots of people are walking in which blocks the view of the beach. Also if it's hard, you can't really see the beach.

Great gift idea!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift Cert. to Mama's Fish House

PS, my profile pic is from the beach at Mama's!

United States
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gift Cert. to Mama's Fish House

Maybe go for a little less because they might not let them use the gift cert for tax & tip. You could find out the policy before purchasing. I hate feeling that I HAVE to order something just to use up a gift cert. Are you sure this is where THEY want to go? It might be ideal to you but cash and letting them decide could be fun too.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
47,027 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gift Cert. to Mama's Fish House

Aloha,

I'm no fan of Mama's, since I think it's more hype than anything else (except grossly over priced). But 250 would prob be a good number for 2 people.

I think Smart brought up a good point, though. Even if you are sure that they really, really want to go to Mama's--buy them a Visa gift card instead of a gift certificate.

They could use a card anywhere, including Mama's...........and then there's no worry about tax or whatever being excluded from the certificate.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
75 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gift Cert. to Mama's Fish House

cchack,

I agree with smart... and sw.... on this one. You can go through $250 pretty easily at Mama's and IMHO not the best choice. A $250 gift card is a great gift. To personalize a bit enclose a little bit of info of several restaurants including websites on nice stationary. Include Mama's and be sure to include several from the west side.

Safe Travels

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gift Cert. to Mama's Fish House

Big Mama fan love the bisque. yep hyped up alot but just love this place.

IMO 200 would be enough as we always buy white wine here. Kinda disagree with the others as a visa gift is tacky and a Mama's will be showing them something you love and see if they love it also.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
47,027 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gift Cert. to Mama's Fish House

Aloha,

Devil's Advocate time!

CC, have you been to Mama's, or did you pick it from the glowing reviews? If the former, and you know your brother and his bride would like the same kind of meal........all good I guess.

But if you haven't been there, I would consider taking PRT's idea a little further.

You know your brother.....would he rather do a snorkel trip? A raft trip? A helicopter ride? A hike? A zipline? Would a meal be at the top of his list and would it be Mama's? Or maybe he and his wife would like to hop the ferry over to Lana'i for the day?

Based on what you do/don't know, I'd consider printing out a few different things, and giving them the Visa card and letting them pick what they like. That way they don't feel "obligated" to A) go to Mama's of they really don't want to or timing doesn't work, and B) you get all the credit for helping them pick and afford something they really want.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gift Cert. to Mama's Fish House

I think a dinner for two at Mama's would be very memorable and romantic for a honeymoon.

I was told that Mama's serve the best meal in the world if you can find someone else to pay for you. But if you have to pay yourself, then it is grossly over priced.

I gave my sister-in-law a $250 gift certificate there in 08 for her 40th, they LOVED it.

I have never actually eaten there myself. I haven't found someone who wanted to pay for my meal there yet.

_
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gift Cert. to Mama's Fish House

I like the helicopter idea. Mama's is kind of controversial: some say it's great, some say it's way over-hyped.

New York
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gift Cert. to Mama's Fish House

What a great idea! Yes, a gift certificate to MAMA's would be awesome..but like was suggested above...maybe alittle less...$150.

Then give them a VISA card with the $100 to spend as they please elsewhere...