We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana - Best Audio CD

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Hana - Best Audio CD

Can anyone recommend the best CD to guide me along the Road to Hana?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana - Best Audio CD

The Audio CD I really wanted but couldn't find last year was R2H. It's the CD that has some commentary and then beautifully composed music to "match" what you are seeing along the road. That CD is much more widely available now and can even be downloaded before you leave home. I should have looked up their website before replying, but I'm sure you can google R2H and find some info. I think the music of that particular CD would enhance the trip . . . . . .

We had an OK CD (don't remember the name, so how great can it really be??), but things go by way too fast to JUST rely on the CD for guidance AND if you have a chatty bunch (as we did), it was hard to even hear the CD at times! Good luck finding the best choice for you!

Level Contributor
35,915 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana - Best Audio CD

We liked the one from the Shell station, it also comes with maps and a DVD. :).

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,353 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana - Best Audio CD

You may also be interested in the gypsy guide. It's electronic, kind of gps thing that gets great reviews here on TA.

www.gypsyguide.com/maui/

You could also look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page, lots of info about the stops etc.

vancouver island
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana - Best Audio CD

just got back from Maui and we did the road to Hana. It was amazing thanks The R2H CD we picked up at Anthonys Coffee in Paia...definately would have missed alot of incredible sights if it wasnt for this CD

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
192 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Hana - Best Audio CD

I know everyone is going to hate me for this one but the dreaded "blue" book has some great info for the RTH. Just need a good navigator next to ya! I also marked the book in order of what we wanted to see and put little tabs so we had a 2-3 mile notice for upcoming site. I am a bit meticulous when planning.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Hana - Best Audio CD

We used this just a few weeks ago not only on the road to Hana but all over the Island, it was informative and gave you plenty of time to stop...if you are a regular to the Island you might be irritated with all the tips and history that you might already know about...but I found it fun to have in the car with us as we drove all over the Island.

www.hawaiigaga.com/maui-gps-tour-guide.aspx

We used this for pre-planning prior to arrival...it matched the GPS tour pretty well.

amazon.com/Hana-Highway-Mile-Road-Beyond/…

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,353 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Hana - Best Audio CD

Photomom, the Hana Mile by Mile is the definitive book on Hana. The author, JCDerrick used to be a Maui DE. He also wrote most of the articles that are linked through the Top Questions.

Edited: 03 May 2012, 19:36
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Hana - Best Audio CD

we used the one with the music and the 2 funny guys. thought it was corny at first, but they did a good job. very informative

Chicago
Level Contributor
511 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road to Hana - Best Audio CD

Hey photomom, did the gaga tour adjust based on your location? We plan to head straight to Oheo and then make our scenic stops on the way back. So we'd want the tour info in reverse.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
271 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road to Hana - Best Audio CD

@charley48, Is that theR2H dot com? Orange CD that comes with the map? I listened to the samples at their website and only heard one boring-sounding guy. The music sounded good, but I think my teenage sons would love two funny guys, if that's a different one.

@potatopants, I had initially thought do do it in reverse also, but then I read that you want to follow the sun and do the east side stuff in the a.m. or it will all be in the shade and not as pretty.