We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hana. Did we make a mistake?

Which Hana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hana. Did we make a mistake?

My party of five has a house rented near Hana town in mid July. We will arrive at OGG around noon on Sunday and depart mid morning on Thursday. This will give us only 3 1/2 days on Maui. Having read numerous accounts of the time required to reach Hana I am wondering if it is reasonable to try and visit any other sights such as Haleakala crater or will we be confined exclusively to the Hana area? Perhaps we should have chosenin a more central location? Thoughts...

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hana. Did we make a mistake?

Are you flying in from another island, or from Florida? Hana is a trying drive after a looong flight.

With only 3 days It would be stressfull to attempt a lot of sightseeing outside of the gorgeous Hana area.

I'd just go to Hana and relax and soak in the area. Give yourself lots of time to get back to the airport...it's not a short drive.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hana. Did we make a mistake?

From Hana it's a 3 hour drive one way to Haleakala summit; http://tinyurl.com/874h567 while it's doable in a long day trip (with most of your driving on winding roads), I don't think you'll want to do two return trips on the RTH during your 4 night stay.

A more central location would make it possible to visit more of the island, but if it's too late to change your plans, then I agree with mamma that I would just relax and enjoy the Hana area. Or, if it's affordable for you to double book, spend a night in South or West Maui - I would do this on the first or last night to avoid repeating the RTH drive. That would give you a chance to spend some time on the west coast of Maui to enjoy some of the beaches and sights there.

Edited: 30 May 2012, 14:15
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,865 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hana. Did we make a mistake?

Hana is a place you go to to go no place else and not be bothered. It is not a place you go to explore Maui.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hana. Did we make a mistake?

I am with SusanM. It you are able to change your house reservation, maybe you could just spend 3 nights in Hana, spend the last night in Kihei area. That gives you some time to see the "other" side of the island, and less stress that last morning getting to the airport on time. Maui Coast Hotel is an option. A condo would be nice with 5 of you for more room, but they are few and far between that you could rent for just one night. Add the cleaning fee, and it is expensive for one night as well. Mana Kai is another possibility, and it is on beautiful Keawakapu Beach, in south Kihei.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hana. Did we make a mistake?

Hana is just about as far from the other "touristy areas" of Maui that you can get. Staying there for that length of time is for those that want to "get away from it all"!! If you want to explore any other part of Maui, stay somewhere else.

Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hana. Did we make a mistake?

Thanks everyone. Since our reservations are non alterable I think we will just take your advice and enjoy Hana. Considering our flight home doesn't depart until 12:51 do you think we will be pushed for time? Seems like most traffic would be heading toward Hana.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,539 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hana. Did we make a mistake?

Aloha,

Leave early enough so you can enjoy your ride to the airport, most will be going to Hana at that time.

Dont forget to load up on food and stuff in Kahului

Costco, Walmart, Foodland and Safeway

Have a great time,

Aloha

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hana. Did we make a mistake?

If you leave by about 9:00 you should be fine. Once you drive to Hana you will have a better idea how long you think it will take to drive back.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hana. Did we make a mistake?

This could be a really awesome "mistake"! I would love to just kick in Hana for three days....and you will need to come back to Maui asap to see what you missed. Have a great trip!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hana. Did we make a mistake?

I hope you are flying to Maui from another of the islands, not coming from Florida. The only thing on my mind after arriving from Chicago is to shower and rest -- not drive a long, pokey road that I am *supposed* to be enjoying.

If nothing can be changed...I'm not sure why you're asking.