We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian food options along the road to Hana

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
156 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarian food options along the road to Hana

Hello all,

Me and my husband are vegan/vegetarians and will be doing road to Hana in a month!!! This is our first trip to Hawaii and I am totally excited. Are there any food trucks/restaurants that serve good vegetarian food or is it best to just pack our lunch/snacks and leave?

Appreciate your help!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,222 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian food options along the road to Hana

I would pack a lunch and snacks . . . once you start on the road, there aren't really any food choices other than fruit stands along the way. Hana doesn't have many restaurants and not sure of the vegetarian choices, though that may have changed since I did the road to Hana . . . Have fun - it is a gorgeous drive! :)

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,662 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian food options along the road to Hana

Absolutely bring a picnic. You cannot count on road side vendors being there at certain times of day or even what day of the week. We thought we could buy banana bread on our way out, but everything was closed by about 3:00 pm. What a great cottage industry for folks wanting to be home when the kids get back from school, don't you think?

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian food options along the road to Hana

Definitely stop by Coconut Glenn's - he has vegan ice cream made from coconut milk.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian food options along the road to Hana

I'd say pack a lunch with the option to change your mind :)

There are some great food stands, esp closer to Hana, and they might have veg options ... I am not sure. We have packed a lunch before, but hit the food stand instead, and it was quite tasty!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian food options along the road to Hana

Do pack a lunch. As the other's have said, no telling who will be open or what they will be serving when you are there. You should be able to find fruits and vegi's once you get into Hana.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian food options along the road to Hana

if you happen to stop in haiku on the way...or way back, veg out is really good. http://www.veg-out.com/

here's a good guide for the island: http://www.vsh.org/Veg-Friendly-Maui.htm

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian food options along the road to Hana

forgot to mention cafe mambo in paia....right on the way. great veg selections and they do have take out picnic lunches...

http://www.cafemambomaui.com/

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
156 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegetarian food options along the road to Hana

WOW! Thank you very much everyone.

ddffpp- can't agree more about getting home early. Wish I have same work schedule and most importantly wish I live in MAUI!!

sjcal28- Yummmm! Will definitely try that one. I LOVE coconut milk. Thanks for the suggestion.

Billy_Shears- Thanks a ton!! Absolutely loved veg-out menu!!!!! I think we will go there for lunch. Cafemambo is on our list and we are planning to go there for early dinner on the day we leave Maui as it is so close to the airport. Thanks again for your great suggestions and links.

Coalminer, konagirl and msfuzz- I'll keep your tips in mind and be prepared just in case.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 20:21
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegetarian food options along the road to Hana

jan...

you're quite welcome. i have to say that i had the best burrito ever at veg out. if you read the reviews, even omnivores rave about it. it's a little place in a small strip mall....nothing fancy, but delicious food.

we also make a point of going to cafe mambo whenever in the area. love it there.

have a great trip!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
156 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegetarian food options along the road to Hana

I am very excited to try these :) Have just 28 days to go!! Wohoooo :))))